POS Stock S-10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

greencountry05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Skinny
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
The other day I was about to leave to go to work and noticed fluid all down the passenger side of my truck near the bottom. I thought, "Damn, a seal is busted." I got down and looked but from what I can tell I musta' ran over something in the road coming home from NSU the day before. I'm not sure if you can tell from the pictures or not but there's not any fluuid coming from the brake line and I checked the seal on the hub. So iunno? :crazy:

The mini-me decided to help as well lol....

You must be registered for see images attach

greencountry05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Skinny
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
Also, has anybody changed out the heater core on one of these? I have a question.......Even if I've been driving for 3hours I can turn the heater on and it blows cold air. But, I can not smell anti-freeze, the floorboard isn't wet, the coolant is never low, the blower works just fine. Soooo.......could it be the HVAC because the A/C works fine? And somebody told me that it may be a valve in there that switches from hot to cold and maybe it's stuck? I don't know, but what I do know is that it's getting cold here and I can't afford to take it to a mechanic, hell I can barely afford the heater core lol. Anybody have any suggestions on the heater OR the mystery fluid?

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
It looks like you drove through oil haha. The heater core could possibly be blocked. how does the coolant look?

Its possible your heater core is blocked with flakes of calcium scale. Just pull your hoses and use a garden hose to run water through the heater hoses and see if anything comes out.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
haha!! The pics of your little guy reminds me of my little guys (2 of them). They both like to "help" daddy work on the trucks. The oldest is 3 and if I'm too busy with what I'm doing he'll take some of my tools and go over to his cozy coupe and start "working" on it as he lays on the ground and gets underneath it :) My 16 month old will just crouch down, point and say "Dadda!!!" :D Good times....

Not sure on your heater coil thing, though. Irishman seems to have a good suggestion :)

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Heater core on a 2nd gen is a BITCH.

In replacing the heater core in my 94 s10 pickup. 6 hrs.
start to finish. I read alot of Google group posts before starting
this job for the first time. Pretty straight forward. To get the dash
to swing down....loosen one bolt under each speaker cover...two bolts
under the heater duct on top of the dash. Loosen the pivot bolts on
each end of the dash. Disconnect the support bracket that attaches to
the dash right under the ashtray. Disconnect the steering column (two
nuts) and let in drop down. NOW the dashboard should be able to swing
down allowing you room the get the cover and heater core out. Not
quite. I was able to get the unit out after alot of pulling on the
dash. (put a crack across the top of the dash. no biggy...it's an old
truck) Something between the steering column and the radio was hanging
up but, I couldn't find it. AFTER I finished the job, I happened to be
looking thru a manual for a 1994 chevy s10 SS pickup that I had bought
long ago. Murphy's Law.....the instructions for removing the dash
mention a bolt from the dash to the steering column support that has to
be removed. If you are going to tackle this job.....LOOK FOR THAT
BOLT !!!! All in all...not the hardest job I ever tackled.

But before all else, I'd check the vacuum servo...but that too is behind the dash...

You must be registered for see images

The one at the top there...

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The heater cores are known for clogging up pretty good. If you have an air compressor, you can easily clear it out.

Just disconnect both heater hoses, put a trigger style air blower up to one port, and then put a rag over the other port. Give it several quick blasts, and a bunch of crap will come shooting out at the rag. Put the hose back on, top off the coolant, then enjoy your heat. If there's a lot of crap in there, clear it out again after a few months to get whatever may be left.

greencountry05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Skinny
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
All very good advice, thanks guys. I'll have to mess with it Friday. I should be free all day then.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I agree it looks like you ran through something, but does the rear fenderwell look the same? I would try "reverse flushing" the heater core, if you can figure out which port is the input and which is the output. Otherwise whatever is stopping it up will just get lodged in there worse. Good luck on flushing the heater core, hope that fixes it!

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
At the parts store they have radiator flush, get the really pricey and most dangerous caustic stuff you can find.

Alot of people run tap water as coolant and it really screws up your cooling system. All those minerals end up in the heater core, you could get it flushed out and have it clog again the same day. I battled this in my Dodge Dakota over and over again.

If you get those frosted flakes out of your heater hoses bypass the heater core with some extra hose and use the bottle of flush on your engine/radiator.

greencountry05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Skinny
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
I have no idea what the previous owner had in it but when I got it from the little car lot it had orange coolant in it and still does. I'll go get my chilton's manual and see if if it knows which line is which.

greencountry05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Skinny
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
I agree it looks like you ran through something, but does the rear fenderwell look the same? I would try "reverse flushing" the heater core, if you can figure out which port is the input and which is the output. Otherwise whatever is stopping it up will just get lodged in there worse. Good luck on flushing the heater core, hope that fixes it!

Hadn't even thought about that let me go check lol.....

greencountry05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Skinny
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
LMAO if ain't one thing it's another....now my left blinker is blinking waaaay faster than the right. Don't ya' just love stupid petty bs about your vehicles?

greencountry05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Skinny
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
Yup, I had to have ran over some oil, back fenderwell is the same. I just get paranoid about my truck, always assume the worst and hope forthe best. I priced new bushings and pins for my droopy drivers side door, only five bucks! Anyone else have sag problems with 3rd door S-10s?

Manbearpig

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500HD Quadrasteer
Engine Size
lol I read the title as Pro stock

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
LMAO if ain't one thing it's another....now my left blinker is blinking waaaay faster than the right. Don't ya' just love stupid petty bs about your vehicles?

In the Mustang the faster blinkers means a bulb burnt out, Im not sure if thats the case with yours or not.

Im sure you know this already but that orange coolant is Dexcool if i remember right and cant be mixed with the normal green coolant.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus