Popping noise heard & felt when in hard right turn from standing stop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davetyp

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Begging some input from the group. Have an 83 K20 305 SM465 NP205 4.10 14bsf rear (not posi) & 10b front. While in 2 HI if I have the steering hard right (not quite to the lock, but almost) and accelerate briskly from a standing stop, I hear and feel a single loud body/suspension/driveline/something pop. Feels stronger than and is louder than a posi pop (this rear isn't posi anyway). Do not feel it in the steering wheel, but more in the seat of the pants and the shifter handle. Does not do it when accelerating gently or when not turned hard right. Checked the U-bolts on the rear springs & crossmember bolts. Nothing loose. Just did front brakes and found no wiggly ball joints, but just checked by wiggling the wheel & tire. Is there anything else to check? Or a better way to check the ball joints? Didn't bother looking at the U-joints because that popping sound never happens unless the steering is almost hard right -- but I'm not ruling them out. Any advice appreaciated. Thanks!

You must be registered for see images attach

TX87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
No idea if it is similar to my issue but for me a rock got down between teh bed and the cab and couldnt' get loose. When I was turning it would pop loud as **** until I figured out what it was and scooped it out. Not saying you have the same issue but check behind the cab just to be sure.

davetyp

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
No idea if it is similar to my issue but for me a rock got down between teh bed and the cab and couldnt' get loose. When I was turning it would pop loud as **** until I figured out what it was and scooped it out. Not saying you have the same issue but check behind the cab just to be sure.
Great idea, thanks! I just checked, nothing there. :(

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Pick the front end off of the ground (hubs unlocked) and check for a zerk fitting on the axle U-joints. It sounds like one of those could be culprit.
If they have a zerk you'll need a needle type to geet some axle grease in them. DO NOT USE CHASSIS GREASE!

Shorty81

Baby Boomer
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Do you have a lifted steering arm? If not it will rub.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I use to have a bad clunk when I got on the gas hard in 4wd. It didn't have to be turned though. Mine ended up being soft collapsed transmission/t case mounts. New firm mounts didn't allow the drivetrain to torque over and front drive shaft to hit the cross member. Really don't think this is yours since you said steering has to be turned hard to make it do it. Which makes me think it's that outer axleshaft bearing.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Do you have a lifted steering arm? If not it will rub.
This is a good suggestion and possibility. Is the lift newly installed?
It's not any u joints up front, as they are not even rotating if you're unlocked an in 2wd.
Anyway, great looking truck!

davetyp

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
This is a good suggestion and possibility. Is the lift newly installed?
It's not any u joints up front, as they are not even rotating if you're unlocked an in 2wd.
Anyway, great looking truck!
This rig has a 4" lift and a raised steering arm; the drag link is horizontal (as it should be).

BUT

Now that you bring it up, the previous oner put rims and tires from a '90s model on this rig -- they're 17" aluminum rims and I'm wondering if the backspacing is wrong for this application. The inside of the left front tire will rub against the end of the pittman arm when cranked too far to the right. It could be that the "clunk" I hear is interference there. Oddly, I do not feel that clunk in the steering wheel. So maybe that's not it.

Been looking for different rims to eliminate that problem, but the choices for an 8x6.5 lug steel wheel are limited to say the least. I want a period correct steel wheel, 15" or 16", to mount some 34" or 35" tires. It's looking like wagon wheels or stock steelies are the only options.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@davetyp
Wheel Vintiques has classic painted or chrome OE looking steelies.
US wheel has several styles/colors of 8 lug steelies. As do some of the off road store websites.
Detroit Steel Wheels has several styles in about any rim size you could imagine. But they’re pretty spendy.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I've heard stories of cracked frames popping, worth while to check the frame near the steering box.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I've heard stories of cracked frames popping, worth while to check the frame near the steering box.
Yep how could we all overlook the classic cracked frame at the steering box issue.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Take a look at the suspension bolts for the leaf springs. Make sure they're not broken.

davetyp

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
White spokes look good on old Chevys.
Indeed they do! Always liked them second best. What would be way cool is if someone made rally wheels in an 8x6.5 pattern... but as far as I can tell, those are unobtanium.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128