Popping in low speeds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brown Sugar

Reaction score
First Name
Judd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban
Engine Size
My 83 Suburban started making a popping noise at very low speeds on a recent road trip. It only happens sometimes under 10 mph and worse in reverse. There isn't any vibrations or issues at higher speeds, only below 10 mph. Anyone have any ideas?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Popping as in what? Backfire in the carb? Backfire in the tailpipe? Suspension? Under the truck?

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
Is it a hub sticking?? Ive had a hub go back and pop when turning.

Brown Sugar

Reaction score
First Name
Judd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban
Engine Size
Its in the driveshaft or the rear differential.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
Well, spider gears slipping would happen at all rpm's, In our 91 K20, we wore the Idler Spiders down and it started popping at all the speeds, anywhere from 5-70. And it wasnt constant.

Last edited:

Brown Sugar

Reaction score
First Name
Judd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban
Engine Size
I think it's one of the u joints, but I don't have much experience in this area. I am going to remove the driveshaft anyway as I have a leak at my output seal that I need to replace. While I have it out I will go ahead and replace both of the u joints and see if that fixes it. Any knowledge that I can get beforehand is appreciated.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I think it's one of the u joints, but I don't have much experience in this area. I am going to remove the driveshaft anyway as I have a leak at my output seal that I need to replace. While I have it out I will go ahead and replace both of the u joints and see if that fixes it. Any knowledge that I can get beforehand is appreciated.

You can replace U joints yourself if you have a decent bench vise. I've also used Old cheapass sockets for beating the old ones out. If they are original OEM joints and don't have inner or outter clips, then you'll need a torch to burn out the poly injected keeper material. That can be a bitch, but it can be done with patience. I've done with many with basic hand tools and a propane torch.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD

Welcome aboard fellow Burb owner. That is my guess too, and I plan do do mine as well this year.

Sent from my iPod touch 4th Gen using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Garcjay