Popping fuse when AC/Fans are turned on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jallen

Reaction score
First Name
jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne C10
Engine Size
I need your help. I have a 1980 C10 Cheyenne. It has a SBC 350. I put two electric fans on it from Derale. I had an Old Air A/C installed last year around the same time. I ran that setup for about a year with no issues. The other day I popped the 20 amp fuse on my fuse box. It’s the one that controls the gauges. I have checked all the relay wiring, change it, changed the relays as well. I still keep popping that fuse.

I have checked under the dash for frayed wires. I checked the wires going thru the firewall. All other fuses are good. The AC fuses are good. No wiring is grounding out that I can see. I have cleaned up my grounds for the fans as well. I can unhook the fans and drive the truck and not pop the fuse. The moment I plug those relays back in and turn on the AC, the fuse pops.
What could be causing this issue?

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
@jallen Unplug the fan, unplug the high speed relay on the firewall, unplug the resistor. Put a good fuse in it. Does it pop then?

If yes, look over the wiring again and consider a bad fan switch.
If no start plugging components in one at a time, when you plug something in and the fuse pops you have found the problem.

Hopefully that will help you track it down.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Could be just circuit overload. How many amps do the fans draw on startup? That in combination with other items on same fuse be overloading it. May have to run a standalone fused switched power supply from battery.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad