Please school me on spindles and brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigPoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne Super 10
Engine Size
I recently picked up a 73 C-10 Cheyenne and have been ordering parts like crazy for it. One of the first items that I ordered was a lowering kit from McGaughys. I had the option of ordering for a LD truck (1" wide rotor), or a HD truck (1.25" wide rotor).

I finally get everything back from powder coat and get all the ball joints and bushings on only to discover that the not only does my rotor not fit on the spindle, but the inner bearing is too big.

Well poop. I suppose I'm at fault, but I wouldn't have suspected that the C-10 was considered to have been a HD truck. Is it that fact that it's a Cheyenne? Now I'm totally screwed as I need to disassemble my spindle, package them up and send them back, then wait for the others to arrive. More than a little pissed at myself.

Has anyone else run into this problem before?

Thanks.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I'm guessing that the super 10 is an early version of the heavy half? Which would be the HD version.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
I'm guessing that the super 10 is an early version of the heavy half? Which would be the HD version.

Heavy half wasn't required for the HD rotors. I'm not sure what package they came with though. My 87' half ton had them, but my 84' has 1" rotors.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Heavy half wasn't required for the HD rotors. I'm not sure what package they came with though. My 87' half ton had them, but my 84' has 1" rotors.

You're probably right about it not being a requirement. But I don't think it was a package deal. It's easy to forget back then you could actually order options individually vs todays option package bundles.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1