please help with new truck !!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mickphilips

Reaction score
First Name
mick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
my dad just recently bought a 74 custom10 truck. it has a 12 bolt rear and is automatic and he paid up for the truck because it was one like he had when he was young anyways story short he bought it before trying it out down the road (from a shiesty mechanic) with a supposed rebuilt 350 bored .30 over with a small cam and 650 carb..... he has gotten soo frustrated with it he gave it to me so im asking for some mechanical help from the gurus im used to building Honda's "no comments lol" so I know my way around problem solving and tools to start off with the truck it will start right up and idle great and when its warmed up you can rev it perfectly but if you take it down the road and run it out from 1st to second it falls on its face boggs then cuts off but will start back up and can limp it home feathering the pedal and cutting off a few more times in my findings soo far its got a holley 600 4barrel carb instead of the 650 and the block has no place what soo ever for a mechanical fuel pump so he installed a small gold oreillys fuel pump beside the motor to come on with the key switch any ideas on how to get this truck running good and reliable has a edelbrock intake and the heads have the half crown indenture but that's all the info I have any help would be great thanks

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
- Pull the valve covers you'll find a 6 digit number which will tell you what heads are on it.

- Look behind the alternator and you'll see a flat pad with numbers. If not clean it off and that will tell you possibly what type of motor is in the truck.

- Don't rely solely on ^ as you should get the number cast into the back of the motor behind the drivers head and will be a nother 6 digit or so number.

What type of carb is on it? Is it a quadrajet? Or something else? Either way.. sounds like the carb has been monkied with or replaced.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
K so first order of business is to take that carb and place it on a nice piece of really thick wood and with a sledge in your hand hit that piece of **** until it is about the size of a tin can. That way you wont be tempted to try and fix it LOL

Sounds like its all Carb issues. The electric fuel pump needs to have a pressure regulator set to 5 psi on the carb side of it.

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
like firebane said

-pull valve covers and get the numbers for the heads
-on the Holley, give us the numbers on the air horn (take off air cleaner) so we know what model it is.
-you do need a fuel regulator for that electric pump
-sounds like strictly a carb problem, holleys can be tuned easily..or at least I can tune them

start with those and we can go from here.

also, is that Yadkinville, NC ??? the yak! lol

mickphilips

Reaction score
First Name
mick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
From the castings of the heads and diagrams on line there the 283 power pack heads and it's a holley 1850 I think it said just had it gone through and rebuilt by a friend that works in nascar soo I know the carbs good to go besides adjusting and I'm gonna move the fuel pump to the closest place to the tank and run a regulator tommorro

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Yep like I said take that carb over to the wood block and put it out of its misery. ITS ALL CARB PROBLEMS !

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
like firebane said

-pull valve covers and get the numbers for the heads
-on the Holley, give us the numbers on the air horn (take off air cleaner) so we know what model it is.
-you do need a fuel regulator for that electric pump
-sounds like strictly a carb problem, holleys can be tuned easily..or at least I can tune them

start with those and we can go from here.

also, is that Yadkinville, NC ??? the yak! lol

So can I. Just don't like doing it every other day !

mickphilips

Reaction score
First Name
mick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
sorry got in from work late tonight and didn't get to oreillys today to get a fuel pressure regulator but ill have one itm and by the way the block suffix code behind the altenator is ( CHJ144919 ) looked through the codes online and its either a 307 or 350 and if I was a betting man I would say the 350 would of been more of a common motor for the guy to drop in there then a 307 but that's all ive got tonight updates tommorro hopefully if work doesn't kill me first

mickphilips

Reaction score
First Name
mick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
another long night at work and pouring rain all day but tomorrow im off :) picked up my fuel pressure regulator today on the way home and all set for a day off to hopefully get my problem fixed

mickphilips

Reaction score
First Name
mick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Well think I'm might be getting somewhere moved the fuel pump about 4 inches from the tank and wired it up then dialed my fuel regulator in to between 5 and 6 psi backed the air mix screws on each side out 1 and 1/2 turns and adjusted the front fuel bowl today to a slight trickle out the side and cranked right up it took it down the road and ran great through all the gears Monday I'm gonna adjust the rear bowl perfect because I didn't have time today I figure I still got a little more tweaking to do because from a dead stop and floor it it'll burn first-second then bogg slightly pick back up and keep going probably from where the rear float is too high idk anyone know how to adjust the idle air mixture screws without a vac gauge and any thing else I need to adjust for top performance of what Im working with?

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Get a vacuum gauge..

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
X2 they are cheap

mickphilips

Reaction score
First Name
mick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I'll see what I can't get my hands on tomorrow after I get a vacuum gauge I hook it in under the carb and do some adjusting from there I think I read something about adjust the mixture screws 1-1/4 out then adjust them out for the best gauge vacuum correct

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Correct

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Make sure you keep the idle rpm the same as you adjust. Tuning idle won't solve the bog in 3rd..that is something different

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rowdy_80