please help with new truck !!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mickphilips

Reaction score
First Name
mick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
What's doing the slight loss of power/bogg in 3rd when I'm getting on it the rear float not being adjusted right? And I'll see what I can adjust with a vacuum gauge imma drop by and grab one today thanks for all the support soo far everyone :)

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Adjust that rear float..sounds like fuel starvation.

In fact do the floats first..then idle mixture. Then see how it does. Your idle vacuum reading should be upwards of 16 to 20 inches of mercury(hg). Less if you have lopey cam or live at higher elevation

Last edited:

mickphilips

Reaction score
First Name
mick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
sorry for not being back on here for a few days I had a Honda come in with some body work needing done and I need the $500 extra cash soo ive been tied up with that so I got to looking for a vacuum gauge and don't call me stupid but it seems like every parts store I go to doesn't have one or there rented out even harbor freight tool don't have one :/ but I stumbled upon a boost gauge I had extra that reads vacuum too up to 30 in.hg will this work with a hose connected to it? and the rear float is supposed to be the same level as the front also? and I realized that the arm for the four barrel is in the slide but its not moving the lever so do I just stick a short screw half way between the travel of the arm so itll kick in? sorry for all the questions maybe after all of this ill be able to help someone else

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Yes it will work. Hook it to any hose that has a noticeable vacuum at idle.

mickphilips

Reaction score
First Name
mick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
ok hooked up the vacuum gauge today to the tube under the carb and after I adjusted it the highest I could I can only get the vacuum to 10 and that's with the mixture screws screwed out a pretty good ways to where there almost wobbly it will drive fine down the road but if you floor it now it will hesitate like crazy then slowly start to pick up and go im sorry for all the questions but im just beginning to think its the carb but the guy who rebuilt it that work for nascar said everything looked fine :/ so imam try a few more suggestions and if I have no good outcome im gonna try to hunt me down a good carb but as a last resort whats the cheapest and best carb I can buy for my application

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
A rebuilt Q jet.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
ok hooked up the vacuum gauge today to the tube under the carb and after I adjusted it the highest I could I can only get the vacuum to 10 and that's with the mixture screws screwed out a pretty good ways to where there almost wobbly it will drive fine down the road but if you floor it now it will hesitate like crazy then slowly start to pick up and go im sorry for all the questions but im just beginning to think its the carb but the guy who rebuilt it that work for nascar said everything looked fine :/ so imam try a few more suggestions and if I have no good outcome im gonna try to hunt me down a good carb but as a last resort whats the cheapest and best carb I can buy for my application

Should of just taken it to the wood block like I said :)

The 1850 is a square bore so the easy way would be to get an Edelbrock carb as it also is a square bore and then you don't need to change manifolds or run an adapter to use a spread bore Qaudrajet.

The Qaudrajet in top form is a better carb but you basically need to build a carb your self to get one that wont leak and wash your cylinders with fuel from leaking fuel well plugs and no the epoxy is not a permanent fix! You need to do some real work to fix that problem.

A brand new Edelbrock is around $325 which is still less then what it will cost to fix a qaudjet properly.

Crazy question though? Are you sure you don't have an intake leak ?

What kind of intake is on it ? aluminum or stock cast iron ? What color are the intake gaskets ?

Last edited:

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You have a major vacuum leak. It most certainly is some where on the intake. I would check the China walls especially the rear one. It is cheaper to put new gaskets and rtv the China walls than to get a carb.

Also, if you have the screws so far out that they are wobbly then that thing is running sooooooo rich. Crank that thing up, let it idle until it's running smooth. Place both hands over the air horn and block off the air flow. Does it keep running? If so, you have a huge vacuum leak. If it dies then your carb is set wrong as far as the metering rods/jets and you would need to either get a running kit or another carb if you don't want to tune it.

Last edited:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
You have a major vacuum leak. It most certainly is some where on the intake. I would check the China walls especially the rear one. It is cheaper to put new gaskets and rtv the China walls than to get a carb.

Also, if you have the screws so far out that they are wobbly then that thing is running sooooooo rich. Crank that thing up, let it idle until it's running smooth. Place both hands over the air horn and block off the air flow. Does it keep running? If so, you have a huge vacuum leak. If it dies then your carb is set wrong as far as the metering rods/jets and you would need to either get a running kit or another carb if you don't want to tune it.

Properly installed gaskets don't need rtv silicone around the runner walls. Most intake leaks are because people install the wrong gaskets or fail to rtv the end seal areas properly or intake bolts that are finger tight.

Also in my experience in life, professional automotive mechanics are often times only as smart as the person who taught them. Not always but seen it many times. I personally don't have much use for automotive mechanics. Heavy duty mechanics, now that's a whole different story.

mickphilips

Reaction score
First Name
mick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
this truck is definitely bringing me to my limits on troubleshooting now if it was a wiring problem I could have anything running as far as the intake its what looks to be a aluminum edelbrock intake and as far as the gaskets not quite sure on the color because of the massive amounts of red/orange silicone under it same goes for under the carb also but ill check into the things mentioned above maybe later tonight or in the morning ill lightly spray some brake cleaner around and listen for a jump in rpm's and ill try what BOONE83K10 mentioned here in a few and see what happens ill keep everyone updated

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
well some times people put a lot of rtv on the valve cover gaskets and it oozes down onto the intake. But if there is rtv coming from underneath the intake manifold then that would be an issue that needs to be remedied by installing new gaskets.

use Edelbrock 7201 or felpro 1256 gaskets. The blue steel core ones are for stock cast iron intakes and will never seal properly on the aluminum intakes.

When applying rtv to intake gaskets. Think all that stuff oozing out is also oozing into your ports as well. it goes every where. Use a gasket adhesive like gasacinch or permatex's high tack spray a gasket sealer, to hold the gaskets in place. you can use a couple bolts to hold the gaskets where you want until the spray sealer sets up.

Use the rtv to seal up the end seal areas by applying a good 1/4 inch bead along the block end walls overlapping a little bit onto the intake gaskets where they meet. let that set up for a cood 1/2 hour. Then very carefully lower your intake with out disturbing the silicone or gaskets looking at the bolt holes to line it up. once it is set in place install your bolts and snug them up. wait 1 hour and tourqe to specs 25 ft lbs.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
this truck is definitely bringing me to my limits on troubleshooting now if it was a wiring problem I could have anything running as far as the intake its what looks to be a aluminum edelbrock intake and as far as the gaskets not quite sure on the color because of the massive amounts of red/orange silicone under it same goes for under the carb also but ill check into the things mentioned above maybe later tonight or in the morning ill lightly spray some brake cleaner around and listen for a jump in rpm's and ill try what BOONE83K10 mentioned here in a few and see what happens ill keep everyone updated

WHOA ! Do you mean to tell me that there is silicone under the carb to seal it to the manifold ?

mickphilips

Reaction score
First Name
mick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
uhh..... yupp but im gonna grab some gaskets at oreillys tomorrow so hopefuly thatll be the end of that

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
uhh..... yupp but im gonna grab some gaskets at oreillys tomorrow so hopefuly thatll be the end of that

You might as well just put the thing on an engine stand cause that being the case im sure pretty much everything has been red necked.

Definitely change the intake gaskets.!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickybobby69