Pitman Arm Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
1997 K1500 Chevy 4x4

What special wrench do I need to remove the nut that holds the pitman arm on the steering gearbox? Open end, box end and sockets dont have enough room to get in there cause the nut is sitting like 1in above the cross member.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Dave - I'm pretty sure you're going to have to take the box off for this, bud. There's just not enough room to get the pitman arm to come out with the crossmember in the way, you also won't be able to get the tool in there to get it off.

Now, I didn't use the tool to replace mine. I loosened the nut and beat the sides of the pitman arm where it attaches to the steering box gear with a BFH and after about 7 blows, it popped right off.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Dave - I'm pretty sure you're going to have to take the box off for this, bud. There's just not enough room to get the pitman arm to come out with the crossmember in the way, you also won't be able to get the tool in there to get it off.

Now, I didn't use the tool to replace mine. I loosened the nut and beat the sides of the pitman arm where it attaches to the steering box gear with a BFH and after about 7 blows, it popped right off.

I also tried removing the idler arm too but it was a no go also. Tried using a ball joint seperator and hammer. All that is was doing was moving the centerlink every time I hit it. Gonna pull the centerlink for that and use a puller on it whiles its in a vise. Even soaked it in pb blaster too.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
:pics-stfu: