Piston recommendations for idiot who doesn't know his heads from his asphalt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr_Ryumaru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So I've been looking around for a set of pistons, and I've come to understand this choice should be made with advice from those who know more than me. This just a bit beyond what I know. I've work on engines, swapped engines, rebuilt engines, bolted on power mods, but this is just something a little beyond my grasp.

A little bit about the build. The truck itself is listed in my signature, but what matters is what I'm trying to do with the engine itself. The engine is a 454, and I'm shooting for a competent, yet mild build. The truck will be a daily driver, but will also be workhorse doing such things as plowing, towing, hauling, and whatever else I need it to do. It will be doing some offroading as well. Below I will list the relevant info, as well as parts I'll be using. What I'm looking for are some pistons to help raise the compression in general, and also take advantage of other aspects of the build. Again, this truck will be my daily, and I want it to be reliable. I'm also on somewhat of a budget, so I'm not looking to make big power, simply want to "wake up" the engine so to speak.

Engine: 454, casting# 3999289, stock bore and stroke.

Cylinder Heads: casting# 353049, stock

Camshaft I will be using: Lunati Barebones Series, Part# 10110101LK (I will also be contacting Lunati, and running whatever they recommend in terms of the other valve train components)

Carb: Quadrajet 750-800cfm

Exhaust system: Long tube headers and 3" duals (will likely get reduced down to 2 1/2 inch either before or at the mufflers as I've been told that unless I start making more than 400hp, there is no point but louder noise in going 3" all the way)

Intake: Edlebrock Performer Intake

Ignition: MSD System (not sure which yet, there's a few options available)

I think that's everything relevant, let me know if more info is needed. I'd really like to stay in the ~$250 price range. I know I can't get racing pistons for that much, but that's not what I'm looking for anyways. Just some pistons to up the compression and utilize the other mods. I will not be boring or stroking the block, nor will I be porting the heads as I don't think this build needs it with those specific heads. Thanks ahead of time for any and all help, you guys have already helped me with so much, including identifying the block and planning much of the build already. Keep being the dope mofos yall are <3

Last edited:

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
I used speedpro L2465F pistons in my 454, it's also .060 over, with -.010 deck height and .040 gasket thickness with 115ish cc chambers I netted a little over 10:1 compression.

Mr_Ryumaru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I used speedpro L2465F pistons in my 454, it's also .060 over, with -.010 deck height and .040 gasket thickness with 115ish cc chambers I netted a little over 10:1 compression.
Are those available in stock specs? Would they be viable given the other aspects of the build? Sorry if these seem like stupid questions, but I'm learning as I go here. Hence why I asked for advice from you guys, who know a hell of a lot more than I do, instead of buying shiny things because "muh pur4munce".

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Are those available in stock specs? Would they be viable given the other aspects of the build? Sorry if these seem like stupid questions, but I'm learning as I go here. Hence why I asked for advice from you guys, who know a hell of a lot more than I do, instead of buying shiny things because "muh pur4munce".

Yes, You should be able to get them in a couple different sizes, whether you use that brand or not.. most are available in std, .010, .020, .030, .040, .060etc. If you lightly wire wheeled or scraped the carbon off the current pistons you have, if they are aftermarket they generally have a part number and a bore size marked on the face of them. like mine have "L2465 .060" etched right into the dome. If yours are in good shape I wouldn't totally rule them out for reuse, but just knowing what I know, if you want to put a cam with any kind of duration in it, you'll want to make sure that your static compression is a little better than 9-9.5:1 because you'll lose some dynamic compression with a longer duration camshaft and the engine will "think" it has less compression than it does. if that makes sense?

Mr_Ryumaru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yes, You should be able to get them in a couple different sizes, whether you use that brand or not.. most are available in std, .010, .020, .030, .040, .060etc. If you lightly wire wheeled or scraped the carbon off the current pistons you have, if they are aftermarket they generally have a part number and a bore size marked on the face of them. like mine have "L2465 .060" etched right into the dome. If yours are in good shape I wouldn't totally rule them out for reuse, but just knowing what I know, if you want to put a cam with any kind of duration in it, you'll want to make sure that your static compression is a little better than 9-9.5:1 because you'll lose some dynamic compression with a longer duration camshaft and the engine will "think" it has less compression than it does. if that makes sense?
Well, checked those out and according to the store page they would make ~9.6:1. However, 500 hurts me right in the wallet, and I don't know if I can convince the boss, and she's a hard sell on truck parts as it is :D . Hard bullet to swallow Dx Out of curiosity, will those work with stock heads?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshuars