Pioneer box replacement speakers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I have a set of pioneer truck boxes I found in a junkyard a while back. The boxes are in good condition but the speakers inside are rotten. I would like to replace them but I’m not sure what I’m looking for. I took pictures of what size I need, but I’ve never seen speakers that mount quite like these do. They also have two different sized connections. Can anyone point me in a direction to find some replacements?

You must be registered for see images attach

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
Where do the boxes mount, rear cab corners? I just run 2 50w 5.5 inch speakers with built in tweeters in my doors. That and a 300w sub behind the seat is plenty for our trucks.

If they're for the cab corners I might put 2 more in the doors or kick panels, im just not sure how much your seat will drowm out the noise

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'd imagine they're just behind the seat boxes. I'm not 100% sure, but I'm thinking those had Pioneer Proprietary speakers. That being said, if you want to use the boxes and just repalce the speakers then you likely will have to mod the boxes a bit to make other speakers fit.

I still have a set of Pioneer truck box speakers that I had installed in my work truck. Since I was the bossman way back in 90, I got a nice stereo with amp in my truck and had a permanent mounted cell phone in my work truck that I got to keep with me. Cell phones were real expensive back in those days and not everyone one had yet. At any rate, I got to keep those speakers when they passed my truck on down and bought me another new truck. Mine look similar to these. I think mine are TRX 80's.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
They just sit behind the seat like hot rods. My plan is to use these plus a dual coil speaker in the center of the dash. Mines a 78 so that’s pretty much my only option unless I get a set of cab corner brackets. I was originally just going to do a center dash speaker since my current radio only supports two speakers, but I bought an alpine that supports 4 so I need to add 2 more. I don’t want to cut my doors up for speakers, not my thing.

What are pioneer proprietary speakers? What’s different about them?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
They just sit behind the seat like hot rods. My plan is to use these plus a dual coil speaker in the center of the dash. Mines a 78 so that’s pretty much my only option unless I get a set of cab corner brackets. I was originally just going to do a center dash speaker since my current radio only supports two speakers, but I bought an alpine that supports 4 so I need to add 2 more. I don’t want to cut my doors up for speakers, not my thing.

What are pioneer proprietary speakers? What’s different about them?
Meaning, they might just be a special size for those Pioneer brackets/boxes. :shrug: If that's the case, you might to go with a bigger common size and modify those you have.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
The pic is a bit hard to see but That's How I did my door speakers. Mines 78 too but my door panels are shot so I didn't feel bad about hacking them.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
You wont be able to get modern drop in replacements for those speakers or old replacements as they have been long discontinued. You have two options, junk the box and start from scratch or get new speakers that are close in size and modify the existing box. If going with the latter, make sure you measure depth also.

Found the site where they listed replacement parts, they were pretty proud of those speakers.
http://parts.pioneerelectronics.com/model.asp?modelNum=TS-TRX3

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Well that answers that. They probably aren’t worth modifying to put new speakers in. I just thought they would be cool to use. I’ll probably end up doing corner brackets. I don’t want to cut my new door panels lol.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
I wouldnt cut my door panels either. Corner brackets sound like a plan. Do they have kick panels with speaker holes available for your year truck?

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I wouldnt cut my door panels either. Corner brackets sound like a plan. Do they have kick panels with speaker holes available for your year truck?
Yea but I think you lose the use of your parking brake.

LHredneck

Reaction score
First Name
Gerald
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have a set of pioneer truck boxes I found in a junkyard a while back. The boxes are in good condition but the speakers inside are rotten. I would like to replace them but I’m not sure what I’m looking for. I took pictures of what size I need, but I’ve never seen speakers that mount quite like these do. They also have two different sized connections. Can anyone point me in a direction to find some replacements?

LHredneck

Reaction score
First Name
Gerald
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size