PaulCrawler78 92 Blazer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Some of the seals require that they be "Shrink" after installing them onto the shafts so that they`ll fit easily into their pockets.
For those,I use a hose clamp,squish them down with the hose clamp then go about assembling other components,then,when it comes time to shove that shaft into its pocket,remove the hose clamp and it`ll go right in,just dont dillydally around too long before mating them together,else the seal`ll swell back out and the process have to be redone.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Some of the seals require that they be "Shrink" after installing them onto the shafts so that they`ll fit easily into their pockets.
For those,I use a hose clamp,squish them down with the hose clamp then go about assembling other components,then,when it comes time to shove that shaft into its pocket,remove the hose clamp and it`ll go right in,just dont dillydally around too long before mating them together,else the seal`ll swell back out and the process have to be redone.

Those SPECIAL tools is what I mentioned above as Resizers. They resize the sealing rings around the input shaft. If have hose clamps but first wrapping them with a piece of bicycle inner tube. Another one of those scenarios of improvising which is fine for your own trans build every so many years. But, if you want to do side work, where you're building 2-3 a month, I'd for sure get the tools.
Having the input shaft seals installed properly is also as critical as not tearing any lip seals.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Those SPECIAL tools is what I mentioned above as Resizers. They resize the sealing rings around the input shaft. If have hose clamps but first wrapping them with a piece of bicycle inner tube. Another one of those scenarios of improvising which is fine for your own trans build every so many years. But, if you want to do side work, where you're building 2-3 a month, I'd for sure get the tools.
Having the input shaft seals installed properly is also as critical as not tearing any lip seals.

Absolutely agreed.
I would rebuild for Mine own outfits only,so,that might be one in every ten to twenny years.:happy175:

Paulscrawler78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 blazer
Engine Size
5.7L
So I made a stand for the transmission today so I can install the clutches without worrying about them falling down and also so I can install the check balls into the valve body without worrying about miss placing them

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So I made a stand for the transmission today so I can install the clutches without worrying about them falling down and also so I can install the check balls into the valve body without worrying about miss placing them

I've built a couple, maybe a few maybe even a whole bunch of transmissions. NEVER had the luxury of a trans stand. Tore them down on the trans table, built then on the trans table. On occasion have used a table with a hole in it to let the output shaft go thru it, to stand it up on end, and drop the forward and direct clutch drums in. Not needed on a Th350 or 700r4, but pretty much just about is on a Th400 or your 2 drum assembly will come part during install and then to line up the clutches on the sun gear is real bitch. So set them in, then place the band in, then back to the bench top to finish it off. The Band will keep the drums from falling forward while you put the pump on.

But, if you've got a GOOD stand, then do use it. Just be sure you're using the OEM lugs to attach it to the holding fixture so you don't break the case from the weight you'll be adding as you assemble it.

Paulscrawler78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 blazer
Engine Size
5.7L
Are these the lugs Ur talking about also wat number tells me the year agizn?
You must be registered for see images attach

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Are these the lugs Ur talking about also wat number tells me the year agizn?

Yes, those are the beefed up mounts for building. You better get something on the top though to hold it, or it will spin and fall out. Usually in the top center, there is a threaded part with a flat foot that will press to the top of the case to hold it steady so it can't spin. It's not got a lug, cuz it really isn't holding the weight, the 2 side lugs hold the weight, the adjustable thread top leg holds it steady and keeps it from spinning.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
wat number tells me the year agizn?

Here is the location of the # on the trans. Just above the pan on the passenger side rear of the case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
78ALB