PaulCrawler78 92 Blazer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
How much fluids do I put in the tc before I install it?

You can go with 3 quarts to get started. That's usually the amount the fill a 10 or 11 inch converter. Chances are your converter is going to be bigger than that, but 3 quarts should keep it from a dry start. From there, rule of thumb is 1 qt for each additional inch in diameter. So 4 quarts for 12 in and 5 for 13 inch. But I usually just do 3 quarts and let the pump fill it before I start running it through the gears.

Paulscrawler78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 blazer
Engine Size
5.7L
So far the progress report.......I have the old transmission 3/4 out and it looks like the front pump seal blew out right now I'm having an issue on pulling the Tcase off and out

Paulscrawler78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 blazer
Engine Size
5.7L
Also taking lots of pictures for a tear down thread for those who are asking of it

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
This sounds exactly like what has happened to Jims Burb. Blew the front seal then burnt the 2-4 Band up. His has a blown front seal, and no 2nd or 4th, but does have Reverse, so his SunShell must still be good.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
This sounds exactly like what has happened to Jims Burb. Blew the front seal then burnt the 2-4 Band up. His has a blown front seal, and no 2nd or 4th, but does have Reverse, so his SunShell must still be good.

make me want to go up and pull the fugger out and fix it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
make me want to go up and pull the fugger out and fix it.

It prolly could be fixed pretty easy if it hasn't burnt up anything else yet. I just wonder what goes first. Did it burn up the band first, then the seal blew, or did the seal blow and then the band went bad? And what causes which ever in the chain of events and how can it be corrected. Seems weird you both have almost identical problems.

I may have to do some research on this and find out what the cause and correction is.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
It prolly could be fixed pretty easy if it hasn't burnt up anything else yet. I just wonder what goes first. Did it burn up the band first, then the seal blew, or did the seal blow and then the band went bad? And what causes which ever in the chain of events and how can it be corrected. Seems weird you both have almost identical problems.

I may have to do some research on this and find out what the cause and correction is.

Yeah, please do. this is a truck i said i would never get rid of, but now its too late.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yeah, please do. this is a truck i said i would never get rid of, but now its too late.

Ohhhh NO !!! Did you sell it already or buy something else already?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Ohhhh NO !!! Did you sell it already or buy something else already?

No, told the wife i would rather keep the money in the bank, and try to save a heafty down for a new Sierra on top of trading the Magnum.
Burb is still up in Arcata at the inlaws place...waiting

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
No, told the wife i would rather keep the money in the bank, and try to save a heafty down for a new Sierra on top of trading the Magnum.
Burb is still up in Arcata at the inlaws place...waiting

I need to figure out where the hell everyone is. I still say no need to give up on it. Still get your Sierra and trade in the Derringer, but I'd just put that Th350C in it and keep it. As old as it is, it can't cost that damn much to tag every year just for a weekend cruiser or go play in the mud, sand or up in the mountains and find some snow or some ****. Make it strickly for recreation, or taking the dog to the vet, or picking the neighborhood clan up from ball practice, when you don't want it on your new interior etc.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I need to figure out where the hell everyone is. I still say no need to give up on it. Still get your Sierra and trade in the Derringer, but I'd just put that Th350C in it and keep it. As old as it is, it can't cost that damn much to tag every year just for a weekend cruiser or go play in the mud, sand or up in the mountains and find some snow or some ****. Make it strickly for recreation, or taking the dog to the vet, or picking the neighborhood clan up from ball practice, when you don't want it on your new interior etc.

I agree, but being the stay at home parent, its really hard to secure funds for such an exspensive toy. The new truck is practical, We BOTH agree on it, and we dont do enough of the other things you listed to warrent the burb sitting in the driveway. Now, If I was bringing home about $4 k a month, that would be different, and I would have my own money to play with. Opportunities are very spars in these parts, regardless of how hard you try to get something rollin.

Last edited:

Paulscrawler78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 blazer
Engine Size
5.7L
I agree, but being the stay at home parent, its really hard to secure funds for such an exspensive toy. The new truck is practical. and we dont do enough of the other things you listed to warrent the burb sitting in the driveway. Now, If I was bringing home about $4 k a month, that would be different, and I would have my own money to play with. Opportunities are very spars in these parts, regardless of how hard you try to get something rollin.

Amen to that dude:beatdeadhorse5:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I don't have as many Th350's as I thought I had. However, I do have spare parts and I do have 2 spare 6in output shafts for these 9in Units I have to make 700r4 Conversion transmissions.

I have 2 Th350C 9in Squarebody 2wd transmisisons, 1 of which is a Universal Bell Housing for both Chevy pattern and Buick, Olds, Pontiac. Then I have 1 Th350 9in tailshaft Squarebody 2wd trans non lock up, and I have 1 short 6in Th350 passenger car or 67-72 Chevy Truck Th350 non Lock Up. That's all I have left is those 4. Oh and 2 more, 1 non lock up that has the NP205 married to it, and the 700r4 Conversion one that's in my 85 K1500.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Amen to that dude:beatdeadhorse5:

Lets put it this way...If I could get lucky enough to land a gig where I could make 2/3rds of what the wifey makes, I would have a hobby shop with 3 or 4 early Vettes, and some cherry early 70s squares, and the inside would be decorated lie a 50's GM dealership....kinda like Rick Hendricks' museum.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
82squarebodyLS