Parking Brake Strut Spring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MylesNT

Local Info Bum
Reaction score
First Name
Myles
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
As I sometimes do, I got the cart before the horse on the rear brake overhaul. When I ordered the hardware kit, I just saw a **** load of springs and stuff and assumed it came with everything under the drum. Wrong, of course. But since I thought I was getting new parts, I trashed the old springs. All of them. Usually, this would mean they were on the scrap metal pile, but evidently, they ended up in the garbage can and are long gone. I started the assembly today and when it came time for the strut springs, I didn't have them.

Now, I can't find them. Not for my specific year and model. Not at oreillys, autozone, advanced, a local store, rockauto, LMC, classic industries, or eBay. According to the dude at oreillys, and since I was on the phone I don't know who I talked to I'm not sure if I believe him, that it was a dealer part. I checked a lot of the online GM part suppliers and none go back past '80 or so. So $3 worth of springs are really holding this project up.

The only thing I could find were some "universal" springs at oreillys.
These say they fit the 11" GM brakes. That's what's on the truck.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...=Search_N0265_1296615_1079&pt=N0265&ppt=C0064

These are just some more of the universal springs
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...=Search_N0265_1296615_1079&pt=N0265&ppt=C0064

I don't know **** about drum brakes, so I'm not real sure what direction to go now. I don't have any springs to measure, and I don't know what will interchange. If any of you folks know part numbers, any info, parts that interchange or if any of the above will work, I would really appreciate some help. Thanks y'all.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Go with the ones in the first link phuckit

MylesNT

Local Info Bum
Reaction score
First Name
Myles
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
Yeah. That's what I was hoping I could
do but I wanted a second opinion from somebody who knows more than I do. I figured it would be OK. So that's what I'll do. Thanks 89Sub.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
there should be 2 kits to get all the parts you need to do all new. I have never had a problem getting both kits. I think you need to tell them you need a spring kit and an e brake kit. since you got the spring kit you need the e brake kit. what else are you missing? highdesertranger

MylesNT

Local Info Bum
Reaction score
First Name
Myles
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
The only thing I'm missing is the one spring one each side. The only things that are original parts are the strut and emergency brake lever. O'Reillys does have a kit that is supposed to completely overhaul the drum brakes, but the spring isn't pictured. Granted, it could just be a general pic. Instead of looking for the springs individually, I searched for a emergency/parking brake hardware kit and I still came up with nothing. One thing I will do is go to the store and check out that over haul kit. If the spring is included, I'll be able to check it out and I'll have a size to reference with the universal springs.

MylesNT

Local Info Bum
Reaction score
First Name
Myles
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
I used the springs from the first link. Worked like a charm. Thanks y'all.
You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeD