Parallel or Triangulated 4 Link With a PanHard Bar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tank6x2

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kurt
Truck Year
79/86
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
350, TH400.4:10 gears 2WD
Anybody ever do one, right from fabrication, to getting machining done to installation and figuring out the geometry of it? For a lowered 6x2 on bags...input would be awesome, just trying to work out the information prior to starting something, don't just want to order a kit...

Attachments

• IMG_0554.jpg
    IMG_0554.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 426
  • IMG_0551.jpg
    IMG_0551.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0550.jpg
    IMG_0550.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 408

RADustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crewcab
Engine Size
I always prefer parallel with pan-hard or watts link. Bushing life and overall stability is much better.

On a solid axle front end on a street driven rig, parallel with pan-hard is the only way to avoid bad bump steer.

Last edited:

Tank6x2

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kurt
Truck Year
79/86
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
350, TH400.4:10 gears 2WD
You build your own ?

Or just buy a kit...

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Watts link...panhard bars end up mis-aligning the rear axle while in motion

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
My friend and I installed a pan hard bar setup on his 91 extra cab silverado project...bagged with a four link, panhard bar and 22" wheels. Dual compressors, solenoids, 10 gallon air tank etc. Panhard bar when aired up to driving height will line up the rear axle fine. Geometry angles are out beyond spec when suspension cycles when driving. Theres binding of the u joints, enough to notice while driving. All the measurements worked out when installing, but alignment through the stroke has been an issue ever since. The axle likes to wander side to side enough to scrub the inner fenderwells. A watts link would have been worth the time and money we have invested in his build. Hes buying one soon

RADustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crewcab
Engine Size
while never perfect for centerline axle alignment, panhards do a damn good job for how simple they are. Whether you want to admit it or not, your buddies setup probably could use some good tweaks to get much better performance out of the panhard.

On a solid front axle though, panhard is the only way.

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
while never perfect for centerline axle alignment, panhards do a damn good job for how simple they are. Whether you want to admit it or not, your buddies setup probably could use some good tweaks to get much better performance out of the panhard.

On a solid front axle though, panhard is the only way.

...the o.p. has a bagged setup not a leaf spring. I agree that a solid axle with leaf springs..a panhard bar is ideal....not the same when it comes to airbags. The complex geometry involved with airbags including vertical and horizontal shifting makes it more difficult to maintain ideal alignment. A watts link pivots and maintains a true center as the airbags move during suspension cycling.

RADustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crewcab
Engine Size
to each his own. Panhards when setup correctly perform fine. Bags/coils/leafs.

You'll have to call RideTech and enlighten them that they have been doing it wrong for 15 years. lol.

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
The biggest factors with panhards is the length of the rod and the angle at which it's set at ride height.

Longer rod = less horizontal movement through the suspension cycle.

Shorter rod = more horizontal movement through the suspension cycle.

Both will locate the axle in the desired position, just depends on if the horizontal movement is a big factor to you.

Worst case scenario, a really short panhard bar may look fine at ride height, but hit a dip and the can rear axle shift side to side as the suspension cycles.

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
to each his own. Panhards when setup correctly perform fine. Bags/coils/leafs.

You'll have to call RideTech and enlighten them that they have been doing it wrong for 15 years. lol.

I have been building cars for 20 years....

I'm not in disagreement with you when it comes to a straight axle and panhard bars.

The setup is in fact a ridetech from front to back and we have been in contact them. The rep from ridetech is who suggested the use of a watts link for our specific application. You're correct...different strokes for different folks.

Our 69 camaro road course /track car has a panhard bar and adjustable coilovers and we dont have any issues with horizontal shifting...but then again the suspension setup doesn't see as much articulation on track as on a daily driver with airbags on all four corners.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Taco main chew