Rear Sway Bar on a K-series

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Found this on a Scroogle search. Looks like from you fella's having this same thing 8+ years ago. lol I did a search for about every buzz word in that thread and nothing ever came up. Hellwig never mentions a thing about a 4WD application being different.

You must be registered for see images attach

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
lol, I recognize that rear end. Pics from today came out a little dark but I think you can see it's a basic install.

Homemade end links are angled slightly forward at the bar end because the truck is sitting unloaded, when I carry a bunch of people it droops and aligns better. I kinda remember those J-hook thingies you mentioned but I binned them. I can't remember if I had to drill one or both holes for the L-brackets. It seems like one factory hole was there and I added one more on each side, but it's been too long for my feeble mind to remember.

Last edited:

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Found this on a Scroogle search. Looks like from you fella's having this same thing 8+ years ago. lol I did a search for about every buzz word in that thread and nothing ever came up. Hellwig never mentions a thing about a 4WD application being different.

This is what mine looked like. Yes my OE bar looks just like that.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
lol, I recognize that rear end. Pics from today came out a little dark but I think you can see it's a basic install.

Homemade end links are angled slightly forward at the bar end because the truck is sitting unloaded, when I carry a bunch of people it droops and aligns better. I kinda remember those J-hook thingies you mentioned but I binned them. I can't remember if I had to drill one or both holes for the L-brackets. It seems like one factory hole was there and I added one more on each side, but it's been too long for my feeble mind to remember.
Thats awesome - THANKS! I was going to ask if you drilled out the holes in the frame. There's 3 vertical holes on each side - you used the top and bottom which is what I was going to do. I think the brackets came with 1/2" grade 5 bolts but the holes are only 3/8" - which I was going to use instead but with grade 8 and then a matching plate on the inside for reinforcement.

Seems I found the holy grail on SB rear sways. :hat:

Thanks fellas!
@nvrenuf @Mr Clean @skysurfer

snipepod

Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
I put a rear sway on my 1976 K5 years ago. Really flattens out the truck on curvy mountain roads like we have here in Montana. Road handling is better. The negative is that in slow rocky 4 wheel conditions, the rear end side-to-side is not independent anymore. The brand I have is designed to hug the bottom of the rear floor, and then link down to the springs. Does not have the bar hugging the differential like the pictures I saw earlier in this thread. Functionality of both styles should be equal. Just wish there was a slip clutch in the center to uncouple the thing for off road.

Attachments

• 20220321_104012[1].jpg
    20220321_104012[1].jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 20220321_103709[1].jpg
    20220321_103709[1].jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 79

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member