Painted driveshafts?

Painted driveshafts g hay or not g hay?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
So when I painted the chassis on the old Freedom Wagon, the bare metal rusty driveshafts got a gleaming coat of black paint as well.
In fact the only underbody and chassis parts that didn’t get painted were the engine/trans/tcase, shocks and a couple spots I initially missed on accident.

Buddy (who is a total gearhead and has cranked out a few awesome looking old Chevy trucks) was like “that’s not right. Driveshafts aren’t supposed to be painted, supposed to be rusty just like they came from the factory.”
I know a shot coat of paint isn’t going to hurt them, nor will it help them physically. Not like they’re going to rust out.
But painted steel driveshafts, **** or not ****? Did I break some fundamental restoration rule?
LOL.
Let’s hear it!
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Sorry, the **** is
G
H
E
Y

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
My dad always painted his funny colors, such as candy cane striped, one i remember was neon green. He used to do that on every part he replaced, always told me hey when im old n cenile i will know what i fixed and what i didnt, plus if it falls off or flys off i can find it easier! Lmao dads wisdom!

81squared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Truck Year
Truck Model
scottsdale
Engine Size
bro whatever you do.... DO NOT paint that driveshaft !!!!

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
If the rest is all new and painted and looking good and then you randonly have this sh!tty looking rusty driveshaft among all the other nice tidy black stuff, that would look retarded. Why wouldn't you paint it, I just don't understand? Hell, I've had trucks that were missing rockers and you could see theough the sides of the bed, but when I pulled the driveshaft off to replace the U-joints I painted the shaft while it was already out and just sitting there. Nothing wrong with cleaning up rusty parts of your truck... Not sure how that's even a topic of debate lol

Also, I'm pretty sure not a single part comes rusty from the factory no matter what you're driving... Maybe not painted and it surface rusts fairly quickly compared to the rest of the truck, but I'm pretty sure they didn't come off the assembly line covered in bright orange rust scale...

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
A new shaft always gets painted. The local driveline shop that I use gives them a shot of black paint before you even pick the thing up.

I've always wanted to paint one up like a barber pole. Maybe I'll actually do it one day.