Clear coat on chassis?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blase_on

Reaction score
First Name
Nicholas
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I just had my frame blasted and I wanted to paint with a primer and topcoat vice a single rust coating paint like Por15. I researched a lot but there are many conflicting opinions on paint...had a difficult time finding which paint I should use and actually getting it in time so ended up just listening to the Sherwin Williams guy and going with an epoxy primer and topcoat. I thought I was getting a urethane topcoat but it is an acrylic enamel. I also mentioned that I did not want gloss but it was all that they had. The primer went on well but the primer is way too glossy. I wish I never put it on but now I am wondering what options I have to end up with a satin finish.

SW does have the same acrylic enamel in flat that I was told I could mix to get the desired finish. I'm ok with this option as it is essentially the same paint going on top so I could just scratch it a little an spray on top. Or...he recommended a clear coat (urethane, I believe). Its more $ but at this point I would just like to be happy with it and I could probably use the clear coat elsewhere.

I have never painted anything so this is a learning experience. Any help is much appreciated. Will the clear coat go over the enamel with no issues? It has been about 48 hours now and will be about 72 hours by the time I can paint it again. This may not be a simple answer so just wanted to get thoughts on clear coat on a chassis and diff...is this done typically or should I just stick with what is on there now (acrylic enamel)? Thanks!

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I’m confused. You primered in black? epoxy primer and it’s too shiny and you have gloss black paint to go over it and don’t want to do that but rather use a flat or satin clear coat?
First, is this a show truck, because after the chassis gets dirty it won’t look glossy anymore?
Second you need to find what the re-coat time is for whatever you have on there now. If it’s longer than that it may not bond as well without scuffing your base coat whatever material it is.
Lastly, it’s a chassis. If it’s black and not rusty that’s like 99% of the battle unless it’s going to be a show truck.

Blase_on

Reaction score
First Name
Nicholas
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Epoxy primer is gray and then the acrylic enamel is gloss black and is already on. That is the what I have right now...it's just a high gloss finish on the enamel that I don't like. Definitely not a show truck and agree that it is certainly better than it was.

"Recoat before 8 hours or after 48 hours to prevent lifting. Any AIC Factory Packaged color can be recoated with itself before 8 hours
or after 48 hours and up to 2 weeks after initial application. After 2 weeks sanding is required."

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Sounds like you're in luck, up to 2 weeks then. How well a clear coat would bond, idk.
I'm not an experienced painter, but have used several different products/brands over the years.
Seems the best solution is get a small qty of the same paint in flat or satin black and give it one coat to cover up the gloss.
Good luck!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j250trxr