Overall Consensus of 87 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schanen51

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.2 detroit diesel
Hey yall,
I'm new the whole square body gm's, and figured this would be a place with a wealth of information. I've been given the opportunity to purchase an 87 k30 with the fuel injected 454 chevy motor. Being new to the game, other than an old 454 (carbeurated) that sits in our jet boat, I really have very limited experience with this motor. I've done a few searches for common problems relating to this motor, and really haven't turned up much. The only thing I've found is problems with the OE manifolds cracking, but even that seemed to come up relatively infrequently. Can anyone give me any information (good/bad) about this motor that can give me some sort of insight into the longevity of it? And maybe some tricks of the trade to properly care for the motor other than the typical fluid and parts replacement?

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I've got the 454 in my 87 R20 Burb and I can say overall I'm pretty happy with it. I've had it for a year now. The only performance mod I've done so far is dual exhaust. Just doing that, though, really opened up the performance by quite a bit. I've found mine to be extremely reliable. With the odometer only being 5 digits I cannot say for sure the exact mileage on mine but I'll guess that mine has 210,*** on the clock and runs strong. Just gotta keep them well maintained.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I had a truck with 290k miles on original 454 motor. It smoked a bit as it was farm truck hauling heavy loads for many years but still pulled well. Injectors and fuel pressure regulator ofyen needs to be replaced at some point in its life

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising