Opinions please on possible use for zinc oil additive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ellie Niner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tory
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
LE9 305
I was a power equipment mechanic for some years just out of high school, and observed that many governed, air cooled singles sound a bit raucous when first starting... they are at WOT until the engine is near operating rpm... and generators have a heavy rotor to spin up along with the flywheel and the rest of the rotating assembly. If you're not hearing any untoward sounds once it's at speed, you're probably in good shape. Other parts coming loose... say gen-to-engine bolts, a recoil starter or other peripherals, can also make some nasty racket, so it's worth checking everything a bit closer before condemning something.

Single digit temps? We generally used 5w30 in most stuff that was going to see temps below freezing. Never saw an engine grenade with 10w30, but a few snowblowers came in with the connecting rod through the block when the owner used straight 30wt or heavier. Main bearings would burn up occasionally, too. Haven't been inside too many Chondas, but I think I remember the horizontal shaft ones being splash lubricated (i.e. no oil filter). I'd use 5w30 in sub-freezing temps, or even a lighter weight synthetic when it's unusually cold... keep the higher number at or below 30. I don't recall these having oil consumption issues; yours also should be equipped with a low oil shutdown. ZDDP won't help with cold oil flow.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Magnetic drain plug??

Try 5W30, maybe that will help the start up noise.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The engine is a Honda clone, no filter, Cabelas brand generator, runs at 3600 rpm.
4KW unit.
The paperwork is lost, but all the generators I have had over the years say use a good 10w30 all year round for the average temperatures here.
If I lived somewhere it went below zero, I would run a lighter oil.
It is possible however, that single digit temps are too cold for 10w30, and it sucks that I have to use the generator for power when it's that cold, but this winter has been an exception here, it rarely gets much below the 20's
And it’s hot as fck in the summer if you have to use it then. 5W40 syn year round. Your engine will thank you for it!
It’ll warm up soon! Cheers man!

justhorns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Don't use an additive. Use High zinc oil in any flat tappet engine, so that should apply to all of our squares. I use Penn grade brand. Its black and white people.

OssaMAR

Reaction score
First Name
Leroy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Camper Special
Engine Size
Use straight weight Valvoline vr1 30wt for the first 5 hours.
Then drain oil and switchVR1 10w40.

mshawn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Micah
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10,jimmy,k10
Engine Size
Amsoil!!! The best protection on the market!!!!amsoil for older classic car is very high in zinc also their website talks about cold starts in the northern states and how to battle it.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
He's not talking about a truck he's asking about 5hp small engine.

Albrigap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
They call those, Chonda's?
Chinese knockoffs that are poor quality and are prone to fail.
I agree that a rod knock will not go away.
I would suggest a quality generator powered by a Honda, Briggs or Tecumseh, etc will give far better service.
Any of the diesel oils have higher zinc as they are normally used in flat tappet cam engines.
Diesel oil contains higher detergents to keep an engine clean and higher zinc levels.
I have ran Mobil Delvac 15/40 diesel oil in my Silverado and Suburban for years with no issues.
It is one of the better quality dinosaur extracts.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
Chinese knockoffs that are poor quality and are prone to fail.
I agree that a rod knock will not go away.
I would suggest a quality generator powered by a Honda, Briggs or Tecumseh, etc will give far better service.
If I had the money to spend as so many of you seem to have, I would buy top of the line generators.
I have to live on a small social security check and it's expensive enough just to cover normal living expenses and travel to the big city to do any shopping or go to medical stuff.
Minimum 120 miles round trip in my square burns a lot of expensive gas.
Living remote and off the grid is not easy or cheap.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
@mtnmankev I feel your pain I was without electricity 6 months 1 year I built this with a Honda tiller motor,a gm alternator,3 boat batteries and a 1500 watt power inverter wired to the house. I ran it in the morning to bring the batteries up and again in the evening to bring the batteries up. Couldn't afford to run a generator 24/7 painted bleach bottles black and left them in the sun all day for hot water,shower was a garden sprayer with the hose changed out to a kitchen dish sprayer hose,worked great more pumps more water pressure.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-02-08_151913.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-02-08_151913.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 33

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128