On board water?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Any one have an on board water set up for 4X4? Was thinking of installing something for fresh water and using it for a few different things. I want it for cleaning my truck for things like mud off the windows and out of the wheel wells before I go home. Any one else doing this? Any ideas on it as for what to use for tank? Have the tank under pressure or use a pump? If a pump what to use? I will be adding a pretty good on board air system for air tools and such so I will have that as a source of energy if needed.

kleedus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
1960 threw 91
Truck Model
c10 to k30
Engine Size
350 threw 454
to have enough water to do much more than wash the windshield you will be carrying a lot of weight. and to have any kind of real pressure a good pump will take up a lot of room. or a metal storage tank to handle air pressure will ad weight as well.

not sure on board water more than a gallon or two (to wash the windshield a lot while mudding) is a good idea. are car washes rare in your area?

a gallon of water weighs about 8 pounds

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
+1 kleedus. I could see having a five gallon container for the windows but you'll need closer to 100 for demudding the wheel wells. A tank with air pressure could get the water to exit with enough force, but the problem is when the tank is nearly full of water there's no room left for air. You would get a good stream for a few seconds and then need to wait for the pressure to build again. If you've ever tried using one of those garden tank sprayers that was full you know how it is.

A separate storage tank for air pressure could work but you'll never get around the weight issue.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
If there is access to water where you wheel a good pump would work well. Just drop a line in and pump away.

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
I saw a video of a mud truck where the guy had a small water sprayer tank mounted. It was plumbed as the reservoir for his windshield washer pump. It was a pretty slick set up. He used a sprayer that you could mount to the back of a four wheeler. It already had a pump mounted to the tank IIRC.

Joe383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
:( hmmm well... Weight is not a problem the truck is already 6,800 LBS. I do have water were I mud. I live near the moses lake sand dunes in Washington so there is ponds and lakes every were. Mostly want it for the window but was thinking if I would get enough mud off the truck before I get to the car wash that would be cool cuz my house is closer than the car wash from the area were we wheel. Moses lake police don't give warnings much. They like there tickets. Just want to not be dropping mud on the way home and get a ticket. The pump in a lake idea might work.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I got to go to that ORV park years ago when I had my Chevy ZR2 and met some forum members there. Unfortunately I got stuck pretty bad in one pond and another guy hydrolocked his engine in another one.
All 4 of my tires had slow leaks afterward also from dropping the air pressure down for the sand, then dirt got up in the tire beads and prevented them from sealing.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I have a 5 gallon bucket with a lid on it, with a small dc pump mounted on top that can connect via cigarette lighter with about 8 feet of cord, and has one of those curly hoses only about 10' long and your typical garden variety el cheapo sprayer nozzle on the end. Definitely better than an old sock and a mud hole, or can of beer. Just enough pressure to get your windshield cleared once or twice.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I also have a drop-in sump pump with a 3/4" male waterhose attachment spout. With an ac/dc inverter and the same curly hose and nozzle I bet that would fit the bill.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
well I have a 25 gallon tank and a rv pump. this is for drinking/cooking water. I am going to take pics of the whole truck soon, when I do I will start a thread, on my truck. I use my truck to access remote mining claims. so yes, I do have a water tank. highdesertanger

Joe383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Highdesertrange this is what I am after. My spare tire is not mounted under the truck any more so I was thinking this could be a good spot for it. Maybe a 16 gallon aluminum fuel cell or something. I like the idea of the hose and pump instead of a fixed spray system. My wife wants to be able to have a camper and I could plum it to have running water for her which would make her happy. Now this is a plot to have potable water on truck that I can also use for cleaning mud. We plan on going in to some pretty remote places with the truck for some overnight camping trips, not with a camper on though.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
Joe I would make sure it's tucked up nice and tight. I don't keep a spare under the bed anymore because I rip them off. any tank you use for drinking or cooking water you would want to make sure it's approved for potable water. highdesertranger

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Stainless instead of aluminum for potable water. There are supposed health risks with drinking water stored in aluminum.

Joe383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
O ya both good points.

Latest posts

Forum statistics