Oil leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
First Name
nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Ok so I have a oil leak. Seems bad to me. Already replace oil sending unit its nice and snug. Changed my timing chain cover and crankshaft seal and what it rtv on back and from the gasket and got the corners and along the whole front oil pan gasket. (It was still leaking when I changed the cover I just put rtv on the front pan gasket). And I noticed there was oil all on the bottom of oil pan and transmission. Could it be the rear intake manifold gaskets? Also when I start her up and it still leaks from the timing cover. What do I do? I'm running out of ideas. Valve cover gaskets are still clean from when I changed them. I used wing bolts and those long tabs for a better seal. I changed the distributor gasket and it's still good. I haven't noticed any oil from the pan gasket. I did notice oil coming down the oil filter. But it ain't lose. I'm gonna start her up tomorrow and check the timing cover. If need be I can take pictures for y'all and point out everything.

Anybody please help.

farmerchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
sometimes oil filters will leak if you left the old rubber gasket on and put the new gasket on top of it.filter will tighten up,but leaks between the gaskets. have seen this happen before.threw this out as a possibility.

Reaction score
First Name
nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I thought of that. I have all the gaskets for the engine. Used some. I can't wrap my rad around it. I'm fixing to just replace all gaskets except the head gaskets. The ones on there are good.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
How is your PCV system working?

If the crankcase is pressurized due to a malfunctioning PCV valve (improper plumbing of the hose, restricted hose, etc.) oil leaks can appear all over the place.

Oil mist within the crankcase atmosphere can be forced out from even small leaks. This can happen at seals that are normally above the liquid levels or do not see flowing oil.

With the engine running, pull the PCV valve from the valve cover and place your finger over the valve inlet - there should be a good suction there. Also, while the valve is out and the engine is running, note whether there is any oil mist/crankcae vapors blowing from the opening in the valve cover.

It is tough to locate an oil leak in the front of the engine because the fan blows any oil far from where it originally leaked out. Here is a way to find leaks without the engine (and radiator fan) running:

If you have a shop-vac with a discharge connection, you can rig it up to the crankcase through the oil fill opening on one of the valve covers. Then with the shop-vac providing pressure inside the crankcase, go around with a squirt bottle filled with a liquid soap/water mixture. Spray the various seams and gasketed joints. If you see air bubbles forming at any particular place - that is a possible oil leak sight.

Reaction score
First Name
nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I got a breather. But I do feel like an idiot. I just had to tighten a bolt back up and that got it

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nathanjohnson85