Oil leaks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CWBlack71

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 Scottsdale
Engine Size
It’s seem to be leaking somewhere between the trans and motor. I have replaced the rear main seal so either I screwed it up on the install or it’s something else on the back of the block. Is have put the dye in and ran the engine, now I’m waiting for it to get dark to look at it with my uv light. Hopefully I don’t have to pull the trans again.

CWBlack71

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 Scottsdale
Engine Size
Drove the thing out to the ranch today and I’ve got oil blown all over the engine compartment. Never had that happen before. Now I have no ideas what I’ve done! So confused

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
What valve covers are on it? Are they original? I ask because I've seen people change valve covers and not vent them.1 needs a vent the other side gets pcv.

CWBlack71

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 Scottsdale
Engine Size
Not sure if they are original, but I can tell you that the passenger side has the valve and the driver side is plugged off.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Okay you probably to vent the other valve cover. I'll look to see if you posted a topside view of your engine. If not post one.

CWBlack71

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 Scottsdale
Engine Size
Now I have another question. The truck had a high rise intake manifold on it when I bought it. The guy I bought it from gave me a regular intake from Edelbrock, a low rise performance intake. Now between replacing the rear main seal and the oil pan and valve cover gaskets, I replaced the intake. Would changing the intake cause this huge leak I have now. Would that change how the PCV works.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Accidentally ran across this article trying to find you a pic of how the pcv works. I recommend you read it. The manifold swap could case an oil leak especially if you didn't get the ends sealed. An intake swap won't affect pcv but I don't think your pcv is working. I think until it is working you're going to keep chasing oil leaks.

CWBlack71

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 Scottsdale
Engine Size
The drivers side was plugged when I bought the truck. I am gonna read this article and place an order for a breather and a new valve for sure. Thank you

Royal Sierra 454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
15 GMC Royal Sierra
Engine Size
I had an oil leak that drove me crazy. I have aluminum valve covers. What worked for me was valve cover studs and a little RTV. Leak is going.

Radiohead

Reducing tire diameter 1000 revolutions at once
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
Have you ruled out oil galley plugs or the cam plug. Like here
You must be registered for see images attach

CWBlack71

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 Scottsdale
Engine Size
Gentlemen, thank you for all the feedback. After adding a breather on the drivers side and replacing the PCV valve on the passenger side, my oil leak has disappeared. Again, THANK YOU for all of y’all’s input and suggestions.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey