OEM yellow moulding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Some of you probably know of the one year only yellow body moulding in 1977. My truck has it and I seek a source to complete it as I am missing two pieces. Anybody know of someone that has removed it from their truck and still has it laying around? If it's nice I may buy it all as some of my other pieces have been screwed to the truck - with sheet metal screws...LoL....it's hot.
Specifically I am short a tailgate trim and the piece under the gas filler.

Any Info or leads will be appreciated.

I guess i'm too new to post in the wanted page, I tried.

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
If I get around to doing the body and paint I wish to then I will have most of the trim off my truck that is mostly unmolested. I did take a bit of that paint off a few places with a hot water pressure washer but I think the pieces you are looking for are intact.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Thanks given for the reply Mister B. I will appreciate you keeping me in mind when the time comes.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
That trim is hard to find these days. A couple years ago I bought some NOS '77 trim pieces on ebay, at that time there was still other pieces available. Might still be the case.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Can't you just paint other trim or are they stamped different?

Yellow trim on my old Burb:

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It can be painted, but it would be about impossible to make it look just like the originals. If all the trim was done to match, it would still look good though.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I think it is the same trim piece, but I am uncertain. In my efforts to define hard facts regarding said trim, I was able to glean that it is, in fact, painted and specific to SOME 1977 only trucks. Perhaps only found in the higher trim level trucks (Silverado) ?
Unknown.
Surely it is possible to paint other trim - if it's the same physical shape - but I have neither the desire, patience, nor ability to be pleased with the result.
Regarding eBay and such, I looked around for a while yielding ZERO result and then realized I am the minority and people remove that trim rather than install it. Seems reasonable to me? There has got to be some laying around that is worth little to it's owner...haha the demand is very, very, low.
I think it's pretty neat... One year only!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yes, the trim is shaped the same as the other years. Also, all '77 model trucks with side trim had the yellow inserts. That also goes for the wheelwell trim, the cab band (if equipped) and the tailgate band (if it was the smaller one). I think the optional grill trim still had black inserts.

cobra20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hans
Truck Year
1991, 1974
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban, K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7L
There is a 77 burb in the pick n pull up here if you want me to grab the tailgate trim if it is the same

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
<3
I am not opposed to that idea at all! Very gracious of you to make such an offer. Please allow me to take a picture of my tailgate to eliminate uncertainty. My truck is equipped with the band and has only one piece of trim where I believe two should be.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
What is "optional grill trim"?

There were optional trim strips for the grille:

You must be registered for see images attach

Although this trim has the black pant worn off of it, it would have been in the center, like side trim.

<3
My truck is equipped with the band and has only one piece of trim where I believe two should be.

Some trucks were not equipped with lower body trim, you could order the upper trim just by itself. Upper and lower trim was included on Cheyenne and Silverado models though. If your truck has upper and lower trim, the tailgate should also.

imjohnny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Suburban
Engine Size
Some of you probably know of the one year only yellow body moulding in 1977. My truck has it and I seek a source to complete it as I am missing two pieces. Anybody know of someone that has removed it from their truck and still has it laying around? If it's nice I may buy it all as some of my other pieces have been screwed to the truck - with sheet metal screws...LoL....it's hot.
Specifically I am short a tailgate trim and the piece under the gas filler.

Any Info or leads will be appreciated.

I guess i'm too new to post in the wanted page, I tried.
Hey there. Asking a question on a wicked old thread. Picked up my 77 burb this week and it has all the gold trim, but some of it isn't in great shape. Did you find end up painting trim or finding trim for yours? I found Mar-K trim that has the gold, but it doesn't seem like they have every piece. Just curious what you did.

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
High Sierra K1500 350. Sierra Classic C1500 305.
Engine Size
350, 305
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T3rraBeara