odometer numbers don't line up, but I'm sure its original miles.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

likearock

Reaction score
First Name
jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
C/K20 Trailering Special
Engine Size
502ci
I was told that because my odometer numbers don't line up that the odometer has been tampered with or has rolled over, but I'm pretty sure this is not the case. I bought this truck from a wealthy man who was in his eighty's and had no reason to do so. He was the original owner. The truck has 34,*** original miles. He just didn't drive it much(He had at least a dozen other very nice vehicles) The truck couldn't have rolled over in my opinion, because unless he got in the truck covered in saran wrap every time there is just not much wear anywhere. The interior is so clean, and hasn't been detailed at all. The brake pedal doesn't have noticeable wear, it just feels like it truly has 34,*** miles on it. My question is, is there any reason that the odometer numbers aren't perfectly aligned that isn't some kind of tampering or a roll over? That can't be the only two reasons right? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I feel like all of them have a little unevenness to an extent. I've never seen one that was perfect, but I haven't seen any that are super off, either. If you want, you can order a Carfax for it and see what the mileage reports are. There may not be many entries but just one or two can provide a frame of reference. Not necessarily rolled over or tampered with, especially if not bad.

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
pictures worth a 1000 words

picture of the interior would help also.

likearock

Reaction score
First Name
jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
C/K20 Trailering Special
Engine Size
502ci
I don't think I need a car fax. I know he was the original owner for sure, because I had to take the original very small dealer title to the dmv to put it in my name. I put it up for sale recently, and I had a guy calling me all sorts of names saying I was trying to scam people, but I seriously doubt a millionaire would be desperate for money and tamper with the odometer. The interior is in astounding shape for a vehicle that old. So I believe it truly is 34,*** original miles. Even though its very very rare to see something like this in such amazing condition. I just wanted some opinions cause that guy upset me saying all that stuff.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
My question is, is there any reason that the odometer numbers aren't perfectly aligned that isn't some kind of tampering or a roll over?

I've had trucks with odometers in which some of digit dials would temporarily shift out of line while backing up. When it was parked, if you looked closely, it was noticeable that they were (very slightly) out of synch with the other dials. This didn't always happen and it wasn't always the same rollers.
But then, when the truck was driven forward, the rebel dials would pretty much get back in line. Why did this happen? IDK. To be honest, it didn't bother me, so I didn't really pay it much attention.

I]I put it up for sale recently, and I had a guy calling me all sorts of names saying I was trying to scam people,[/I]

Tell him to stick it up his ass - what does he think, he's the odometer police.

If he doesn't want the truck because he mistrusts the reported mileage, tell him he just shouldn't buy it. Also bring it to his attention that the people who spin odometers are very aware of the internet generated rumor that if the numbers are out of line...the odometer has definitely by opened and tampered with. First of all that isn't true and secondly; the guys that do this for a living are pros. If they spin an odo - you'd never never know it. When they're done, they make sure that line of numbers is straighter than factory.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I've changed GM odo readings before. It took some tinkering each time to figure it out, but this bozo could do it. The numbers lined up when I did it.

Please note, it was not because I wanted to change the ODO reading, I was just replacing the speedo/cluster and wanted the ODO reading to stay the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charkmapman