Np208 transfer case brace

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Provided you have faith in your adapter bolts, TCase crossmember mounts and keep the bell housing bolts tight you should be good with an alternative type brace. I'm assuming you're talking about sometime like a gusset brace with a 45 degree angle back to the crossmember?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Unless you solid mount everything to the frame you're probably going to add stress because the engine, transmission and transfer case all move as a unit in the motor mounts. That's also why your exhaust is in flexible mounts. All that stuff wiggles around quite a bit and needs to all move together. Rearranging an exhaust pipe is much easier than re-engineering the powertrain.
Yep, and why whatever is decided to do with a brace, probably needs some time of rubber mounting so it can flex some as needed. It appears to me the older style brace for the heavier Tcases like the NP203 and NP205 kicked off the passenger side frame rail, but that was also done with rubber bushings probably similar to the cab mount bushings just smaller.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
I can tell you this much. If you don't include it you better make sure all of your other mounts are in extremely good shape. Having one missing transfer case mount on my 77 Jimmy cost me a driveshaft, a transmission, and the mount for the rear pinion and driveshaft on the rear axle (having a brain fart at the moment) as well as a flowmaster exhaust system. It was an omission made by the previous owner and I was much younger then and had no idea how much the drivetrain can sling around while flooring the truck coming out of a corner.....

Now days I put everything back with Poly mounts and if I have to shorten or lengthen that brace I will.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
What do you guys think about fabbing up a new brace and running it straight to the crossmember? Probably a triangular style, still be able to unbolt everything easy if need be. Something in the future probably, I’ll probably change it up a little bit from the H-pipe forward.

I think I’m gonna do headers someday soon I just want a really nice set so I’m saving up. So I’m gonna have to change that pipe up a little bit anyways. So I can get a better fitment then.

For now though I’m fine with “massaging” the pipe in the problem spot lol
Just ding the pipe in where it hits. It would be better for you in the long run for street use.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Yep I got brand new ORD poly motor mounts and transfer case mounts, a lot more sturdy than stock. So I’m good on that part lol

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Provided you have faith in your adapter bolts, TCase crossmember mounts and keep the bell housing bolts tight you should be good with an alternative type brace. I'm assuming you're talking about sometime like a gusset brace with a 45 degree angle back to the crossmember?
Yep that’s pretty much what I was thinking. Solid mount to the orignal spot on the transfer case and then do some kind of eye mount with a poly bushing. Maybe I’ll check if the aftermarket has anything

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Just ding the pipe in where it hits. It would be better for you in the long run for street use.
That’s what I’m gonna do for now, I do like to go wheelin pretty often, and I drive like somewhat of an ass lol so I’m going for strength for sure

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
That’s what I’m gonna do for now, I do like to go wheelin pretty often, and I drive like somewhat of an ass lol so I’m going for strength for sure
Just remember if you poly one you must poly all or solid one, solid all. Mix and match equals busted stuff.

crpntr78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Can anybody post a pic of the bracing of which you speak. I have a 208 transfer with the brace but don't have a clue to what the other end connects to. Thanks.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Can anybody post a pic of the bracing of which you speak. I have a 208 transfer with the brace but don't have a clue to what the other end connects to. Thanks.
There are 2 larger bolts at the transfer case and the other end attaches using a longer bell housing bolt. Sorry no pics, I went a different route.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If no one posts one, I'll try to take one of my 80 K20 tomorrow. If you are running a TH400 you will also need the cast torque converter cover, and the 2 braces that go from it to the engine block.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
If no one posts one, I'll try to take one of my 80 K20 tomorrow. If you are running a TH400 you will also need the cast torque converter cover, and the 2 braces that go from it to the engine block.
My 700r4 hat the same braces to the lower cover as well.

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size

This is the TC to bell brace on an NP205. I don't have any of the bell to motor mount braces.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
This is what the Cast Inspection Cover for the TH350, TH400, & TH700R4 on the 4x4 models looks like.
Note the drilled and tapped bosses for the motor mount strut/brace rods.
It's not difficult to imagine how to run strut rods from those bosses to the motor mount clamshell area on the block.

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Linemanjl