NP205 cracked mount

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Griff

Reaction score
First Name
Griffin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 sbc
My buddy welded it for me for free:happy107:
You must be registered for see images attach

I didn’t end up taking any pictures beyond this point but I ground it smooth and threw a few coats of paint on it. Bought new seals and tapped them in, put it all back together and torqued everything down. Topped up the tranny and tcase fluid and took it for a quick spin. So far so good! I also noticed the tcase has 2 threaded holes on the passenger side for some kind of mount. I think I’ll be making something that goes from there to the frame just to add some additional support. Easier said than done though, P.O. ran the exhaust right by there so I will have to see what I can come up with

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Those two threaded holes are probably for a support rod that ran from the dropped side of the case up to one of the transmission bolts holding it to the engine. GM used a setup like that on a lot of their t-cases.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
Being a 79 and an NP205 it's more than likely you need the transfer case mount that goes to the frame. I think this picture is of one someone made or an aftermarket piece but it at least gives you an idea what the frame mount somewhat looks like and you can tell by checking to see if there are holes on the frame there. To be honest I have considered making one for my np208 on my 85 simply because it just add's some extra support without placing stress on the transmission and motor bolts, especially if you have removed the original support rods that ran from the motor mounts as well. In my case I'm bumping up to a 4l80E at some point so I know the rod that goes between the transmission and transfer case is going to be the wrong length so the frame mount should help prevent any twisting.

You must be registered for see images

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Yep those 205’s braces go to the frame like that. The others have a support rod that runs from the Tcase to the bellhousing

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
He didn't peen the daylights out of the weld... expect it to crack right down the middle of the weld. Cast should be peened to relieve the stress in the weld.
The molten puddle pulls carbon out of the adjoining metal making the weld more brittle than the parent metal.
Still, it might work anyway... I hope I'm wrong about it breaking again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84