NP203 to NP205 swap questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheGreenBarron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sergio
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I currently have a 78K10 with a Th350/203 combo. I got my paws on a NP 205. The thing came with an adaptor for the TH350.

My NP 203 front output has a flannge but the NP 205 has a yoke. Can i interchange them or will i have to run a different type of drive shaft. My current setup has a cv joint bolted to the flange.

I know i will need to have my driveshafts shortened and or lenghtned. My second question would i be better off looking for a truck that was equipped with a 205 and take the driveshafts from it? Assuming it came with a th350( i assume a manual or th400 would also require driveline lengthening or shortening)

Can i use my currrent cross member( i might have to drill new holes) or is it completely incompatible.

From what i can tell the shifters are incompatible. Can i use one from any truck equipped with a 205 or will i have to hack my floor board up.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advanced.

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
It has been a while for me , so I am working off of memory.

If your case has a yoke on it , it should be a 10 spline yoke and you may be able to buy a 10 spline ring style or just have a driveshaft made. I dont think the 203 yoke is the same , but pull it off and try it first

Your rear driveshaft will have to be lengthned for sure , I would just go new driveshafts , easy , trying to find used ones could be hard.

Cross member is good to go , maybe have to mod holes a bit and get the mounts for a 205 , might be the same but like I said it has been a while for me.

Shifters for the 205 are a bit different from 4spd. , th350 and th400 but they all bolt up the same , (single large bolt) . I used to take the shifter and heat it up and bend it to work so I did not have to cut anything.

You may have to drill the frame rails as well , (think the 205 is shorter than the 203) but not positive on that.

You will also need the collar that goes from the output of trans to input of t-case , (I think its 27 spline) , with out that you will go nowhere.

Well thats what I can pull from memory , hope it helps a bit , good luck.

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

TheGreenBarron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sergio
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Np203 to NP205

Thanks!!

Yes this helps alot didnt even think about the collar betweem the transfer case and the Trans!!

Not bad comming from memory!

TheGreenBarron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sergio
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Well i wrestled the case of of my car and this is what i have now to start the rebuild. Took a peak inside and all the gears look great just need to replace the bearing on the adaptor and new seals and gaskets.

Attachments

• IMG_0627.jpg
    IMG_0627.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_0629.jpg
    IMG_0629.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 424

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member