NP203 to NP208 swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coolpup32

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Easiest route is to pull the 203 and put a part time kit in it. Have it rebuilt and replace the old chain.
Where do you get a new chain for a np203? They're unicorns!!

Kurnacopia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Where do you get a new chain for a np203? They're unicorns!!
Try looking at these resources:

You might as the guys at ORD as well, they may be able to help source one. I also like the guys at WFO:

email them or call...they are really cool. Ask for Trevor. These guys are serious about 4x4s and are happy to help. Tell them I sent ya.

Good luck my friend!

1979 K10

Reaction score
First Name
Terrell
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
There used to be 2 part time kits available to change the np203 from full time to part time. I did the cheaper mile marker kit which you could convert the tcase from full to part time while installed in the truck. Took an hour or two but super easy and straightforward, you just swap a gear which is accessible under a cover on side of case and then install some round needle bearings at the tail shaft making sure you get the correct amount or preload. Kit comes with lockable hubs that replace the full time assembly on corporate 10 bolt front axle. I did this kit and didn’t notice any mpg improvement. I had high hopes but that didn’t help realize any improvement lol

The kit did improve tight turning on pavement (no binding, accelerated tire wear) and most of all front axle unjoints will last forever since you’re not constantly powering the front axle.

NP203 becomes 2WD Loc / 2WD /N/ 2WD Lo / 2WD lo lock if front hubs unlocked.

4WD Loc / 2WD /N/ 2WD Lo / 4WD Lo Loc when front hubs locked and engaged.

There was more to that article but only the first page loads for me. There was a better kit offered that requires more work (changing out shaft inside transfer case) and removal of case from truck but that kit has been discontinued for several years.

Last edited:

1979 K10

Reaction score
First Name
Terrell
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Posted in Np203 part time conversion? thread

Last edited:

Latest posts