Not sure what's happening here

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bdouble

Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So I popped off the intake for the first time this evening and don't know what to think. Is this normal (pics below)?
I'm replacing the intake with an eddy 2101 so I'm not really concerned about the old intake. I'm much more concerned that this is a sign other stuff is wrong; it seems like an awful lot of carbon deposit on the underside of the old intake.
Plus, half the intake bolts were pretty concerning... I'd say half hardly needed a ratchet to take off and were well saturated with oil and the other half were rusted and a complete pain in the ass. And it wasn't like this was the right half vs the left half, it was kind of random.
I can see down into the some of the valves and they look like the poster child for the chevron with techron ads - definitely got some carbon build-up in there.

Tips? I want to get this thing wrapped up so I can get this daily driver back on the road - but it's my first time really doing any real work on an engine so it is taking way longer than it should haha

Oh, it's a 73 K10 with a 350 - qjet, hei, pretty much stock aside from that.

Thanks

You must be registered for see images attach

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Looks like the heat cross over was leaking. I good gasket should fix that issue

Sent from the dust in front of you!

Last edited:

friscobob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C 10
Engine Size
I suspect the heat riser is stuck as well, closed or half closed.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Myself I would be tempted to pull the heads and have them cleaned up new seals and all but that's just me. if you have had no performance issues with the engine I would use a shop vac and screw driver to clean any loose carbon from the intake ports and clean the head to intake mating surface very well with a razor blade and putty knife. It can take a while.

Be sure to put some plastic bags over your lifters at the bottom of the intake valley to ensure you don't drop debris into them and vac suck them out good when your all done and ready to install your new intake.

Install the new gaskets and torque to specs, you should be ok

All that mess is from leaking intake gaskets

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Its normal for that exhaust cross over port to look like that but not the bottom of the intake.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I can see down into the some of the valves and they look like the poster child for the chevron with techron ads - definitely got some carbon build-up in there.

Let's remember, it's a '73. To me, that all looks extremely clean for a truck that old. The carbon buildup in the crossover ports is completely normal, the staining on the underside of the intake is probably nothing to be alarmed about either. It's just a much hotter area of the intake and oil has likely burned onto it over time.

Stock exhaust or headers?

fallguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K10
Engine Size
Comparing to what I've seen on mine...you're good. New Felpros and silicon on front and rear ends and you'll be fine. Just needed maintenance TLC. Do yourself a favor...buy new intake bolts too and remember to tighten like lug nuts....across. You'll probably notice it runs a little better too....at least I did cause then your fuel/air mix isn't all jacked up with a leaking intake.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
On newer engines there is usually a stainless steel plate that prevents oily vapors from reaching the underside of the manifold:

scottybaccus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scotty
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC R1500
Engine Size
That's normal, and your engine looks very clean. Folks forget that the exhaust cross-over gets pretty darn hot. They added the stainless plate later on to limit oil consumption from burning it off here. On your next install, this one or an Edelbrock, use the block off plates. It will make for a cooler intake overall.

bdouble

Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks guys. Got the new Eddy 2101 on last Thursday. Managed to mess up the distributor timing 180 degrees out. Rather than lose it in the alley behind my place, I just paid the local shop to fix that & change the oil. Just took a quick 3 mile tow. Now on to fixing the brake booster, weather stripping, and figuring out the squeaking on the front right wheel. Seems like it'll never end haha

Kim Burke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kim
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
Thanks guys. Got the new Eddy 2101 on last Thursday. Managed to mess up the distributor timing 180 degrees out. Rather than lose it in the alley behind my place, I just paid the local shop to fix that & change the oil. Just took a quick 3 mile tow. Now on to fixing the brake booster, weather stripping, and figuring out the squeaking on the front right wheel. Seems like it'll never end haha
I’ve been there, just make a list and do one thing everyday to make it better. Feels like I’m restoring a house, sometimes.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Lol. Rusty Nail sighting in 5..... 4..... 3............

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbarham78