Not enough Edelbrock 1406 fuel pressure ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
As many will recall, I recently had a no start problem on my truck with no fuel getting into the carburetor.
New carb fixed the problem, truck has been doing fine, until a couple days ago.
Once again, same issue.
Checked everything and had plenty of gas gushing from the fuel line (electric pump running) when the fuel line is pulled from the inlet fitting.
Regulator set at 4 psi.
Friend tried the old trick of tapping on the carb with a screwdriver handle and VOILA, gas flowed and the truck started.
Is there a chance I need to bump up that setting to overcome the inlet needle/seat assemblies despite that much gas flow and pressure ?
Or should I return the 1406 under warranty due to floats sticking and get another one ??

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
I'd go up to 6psi. I think the range is 4-6.

hogdaddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
I agree in bumping up the pressure. What filter, regulator and fuel pump?
Have you replaced the rubber lines in the rear from tank to hard lines.

Picture of fuel line going to carb?

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
I should replace those rubber lines, as it has been many years and lots of ethanol gas, and many of us have had experience with deteriorated rubber lines from that crap.
Plus, I have a bad habit of running multiple fuel filters and there's a chance each tank has a filter at or near the intake side of the selector switch as well as the inline filter just as the fuel enters the carburetor.
Will work on getting a pic if it warms up outside and I am able to hobble out to the truck.
So far I have been lucky the assisted living facility hasn't bitched about my old ugly oil leaking truck that only runs when it wants to.

hogdaddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Duel tank setup then? I am not familiar with those and never had one but yes those rubber lines and ethanol don't mix well.
The fuel injection hoses would be better I assume.

1STLS1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
MIchael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
As found in their tuning manual:

Fuel Pumps and Pressure: Avoid extremes in fuel pressure. At IDLE, there should not be any more than 6.0 psi; if the vehicle has an adjustable fuel-pressure regulator, set it to 5.5 psi. With most fuel pumps the minimum fuel pressure is encountered at high rpm and WOT. Fuel pressure should not drop below 2.0 psi. If it does, a fuel pump with more capacity may be required. Note that some later model vehicles (the 5.0L Ford is one example) have mechanical pumps that will give more than 6.0 psi at idle. The vehicle will perform well, but may be prone to stalls on quick turns and stops with the clutch disengaged. If this problem occurs, check the fuel pressure. If it is more than 6.0 psi at IDLE, it should be reduced through the use of a regulator, such as Edelbrock #8190, or by creating a restricted by-pass bleed to the fuel return line. Edelbrock Street Fuel Pumps are highly recommended for all Edelbrock Performer Series carburetor installations.
Always use a filter, such as Edelbrock #8873 between the pump and carburetor. Note that a good filter is large in area, so it may be able to transmit a significant amount of heat to the fuel. It is a good practice to keep the filter away from heat and not allow it to come in contact with any part of the engine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad