No tail lights or cluster lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trogdor

Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Poked around some more. Got some of the gauge lights working but I think most of that is bad connections to that junk ass printed circuit board. The brown #9 wire coming from the fuse block at the firewall isn’t showing anything with the test light. Guess I’m gonna have to pull that off.

Cuba

Likes to work alone in her woman cave
Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
brown wire is only hot when tail/parking lights are on or should be hot. Is this when you're checking it?

Trogdor

Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Yep. All lights on and key in acc. I went to the back and checked the hacked up harness as I was sure that was it. Figured if I had power there then I would just need to reconnect it up. After that I checked it coming out of the fuse block with no power.

Cuba

Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
but the fuse wasn't blown? so issue is a broken wire from block to rear lights then. Only thing I can imagine

Trogdor

Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Fuse is good, even replaced it just for fun. If that wire could be broken it the base, which seems like the only plausible explanation right now, is there much to pulling the wire and fixing it? I’m gonna pull the block tomorrow or Sunday and I guess go from there.

Cuba

Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
I can't remember how they're routed through the cab, but I thought they went through the driver's footwell area and under the carpet. I tried to go through those schematics but they'so so wide and big, I'd have to print them out to SEE where the connections are. Since the fuse is not blowing, the hot end of that brown wire is not able to hit ground to short out. So a more plausible scenario is bad connection in a connector or corrosion. "green crusties"

Trogdor

Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
The way they seem routed on mine is from the block down under the cab to the back. Thanks for your help and everyone else. I’d be SOL without the help you guys have given me. At least I feel it’s narrowed down and now have a chance of getting it fixed.

Cuba

Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
look for areas of rubbing, maybe loose harness, anything that may have been pinched and cut at some point. If any work was done underneath that you know of, that would be another area. Just trying throw out all ideas I can. Rubbing, vibration, or heat are usually the main factors.

Trogdor

Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Holy **** I got it! That brown wire and light green were sheared clean even through the sleeve that holds them. Looks like it hit a seam in the body and that was the entire problem.

You must be registered for see images attach

Cuba

Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
Holy **** I got it! That brown wire and light green were sheared clean even through the sleeve that holds them. Looks like it hit a seam in the body and that was the entire problem.

You must be registered for see images attach
That's a great find! Awesome job! Thanks for updating us too!

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Good job! Thanks for the follow up.

Trogdor

Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Thanks to you guys as well. I was so close to throwing in the towel, momentarily at least.

Glad to have this squared away as she’s now road worthy. Now to focus on the interior.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SMC2224