No tail lights or cluster lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trogdor

Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
I just replaced the cluster lights since they weren’t working before. I go to put everything back together and they still don’t work. Out of curiosity I checked all the markers, heads and tails. Only ones not working is the tail lights. The hazards and blinkers and brake lights work but the tail lights don’t illuminate when I turn on the headlights.

I got a circuit probe and it’s lighting up at the the switch on the red and orange. I really need some help here guys.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Cluster lights maybe a dimmer issue? The potentiometer tends to have problems.

Trogdor

Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Thanks for the reply. I’ve been messing with it all day and I just noticed that the light in the heater module only comes on when the knob is turned all the way just before it clicks. Makes me think this might be the issue.

Trogdor

Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
I just noticed that with the headlight switch turned off the interior lights stay on. Just ordered a new switch and will update when it comes in.

Blue Ox

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Turned all the way counter-clockwise the interior lights are supposed to stay on. Turned clockwise past the detent it becomes a dimmer for the inst lights.

Trogdor

Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Yep, even turned clockwise all the way, interior lights were still on.

Trogdor

Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
I’m at a loss. I’ve traced wires and they look good. I installed the new switch and the underdash light now shuts off but the cluster lights don’t work still nor do the taillights. I also have some lighted under dash gauges and those lights won’t shut off. I know my way around an automobile but electrical has always stumped me.

Cuba

Likes to work alone in her woman cave
Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
A huge contributer to interior lights staying on would be a shorted door switch, and it's grounded all the time. Or... the wire for that system somewhere is rubbed or melted through completing that circuit. Courtesy lights and lights under the dash are all the same system... the courtesy light.

The lack of dash & tail lights must be related, they come out of the same dimmer switch. Need to look at schematics, and verify things.

You say you traced wires? How did you check them? Test light? Meter? Meter would not be as accurate as a test light in this situation, because you want to load circuits to verify they're intact. Use an incandescent one.

Blue Ox

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
There may be several separate issues. The tail lights, are we sure the small filament in the bulbs is good? Could just be bad bulbs. The inst lights, there's a lot of places where that can go wrong. The connector at the hedlight switch, the connector at the cluster, the circuit board, the little bulb holders. IIRC the inst lights are on a gray wire, maybe you can chase that around and check for voltage.

Sorry if I'm telling you everything you already know, but I can't see it from here and I don't know how much you've already covered.

Cuba

Likes to work alone in her woman cave
Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
Some vehicle info would help to see what schematics to look at too.

Trogdor

Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
It’s and 84 Scottsdale.

If the brake lights work then would the taillights/markers still not work? I’ll have a few minutes to check a few more things before I leave for work. Maybe try some new bulbs.

This weekend I’ll trace and check wires more in depth this weekend. I wasn’t extremely thorough since it was 96 and humid.

Blue Ox

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
There are two filaments in the taillight bulbs. The larger, higher wattage one is the brakelight/directional, the smaller lower wattage is the taillight. It could also be the circuit, but I like to start with simple and cheap, like me.

73c20jim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
1973, 1973
Truck Model
C20 2WD Custom Deluxe. C10 2WD Base Model
Engine Size
350 CID 195/260 HP Goodwrench crate, 400 CID 2bbl

Blue Ox

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
And we wonder why he's called Grumpy Jim. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL