No start, no noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lt1fire

Reaction score
First Name
Alastair
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
350 TBI
So went to start my truck up yesterday (90 V1500 Suburban) and nothing when I turn the key. Lights, radio, gauge lights, locks and power windows all work fine. But when I turn the key I get nothing.

No click

The battery gauge shows fine but then drops to about half when the key is turned. Battery is only 2 months old and was installed right before I bought the truck.

Jumped it just in case something was left on but still nothing.

So i'm guessing the battery cables, grounds on the intake manifold have gone bad.

Going to look at replacing those today and go from there.

Is there anything else that would cause this on a TBI other than a bad battery or cables/grounds? It started and ran fine without a hint of something wrong the night before Wen I parked it.

lt1fire

Reaction score
First Name
Alastair
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
350 TBI
Should add the only thing i've notice about it in the last week is the speedometer is acting a bit whacky.... it won't read at all or will just shoot up to 75-85mph some times. But most of the time it worked fine.

Not even sure if that is an issue as i'm not sure if this year is a mechanical speedo or an electrical one.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
might have a dead spot on the starter. Smack the motor on the starter with a hammer 3-5 times and see if it starts. Don't beat the daylights out of it but don't just tap either. I've even seen putting it in gear and rolling it a bit release it, then try again. If it starts after either of those, you need a starter.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Try to start with a screw driver as a test

lt1fire

Reaction score
First Name
Alastair
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
350 TBI
might have a dead spot on the starter. Smack the motor on the starter with a hammer 3-5 times and see if it starts. Don't beat the daylights out of it but don't just tap either. I've even seen putting it in gear and rolling it a bit release it, then try again. If it starts after either of those, you need a starter.

Tried that didn't work :lazer:

lt1fire

Reaction score
First Name
Alastair
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
350 TBI
Try to start with a screw driver as a test

what exactly would that do???

Walmart instead of testing my battery gave me a new one, so I installed a new batter, a new ground battery cable and two new battery terminal screws. Still doing nothing when I turn the key but everything else works. Including my radio that I found the fuse was bad when I replaced all the fuses just now.

Thought it may be my brake switch on the pedal not letting the ECU know my foot was on the brake when I was trying to start (as I had that happen in an old girlfriends mustang at one time) but the brake lights come one when I hit the pedal.

So for now i'm out of ideas..... positive cable going to starter and alt look fine to me.

lt1fire

Reaction score
First Name
Alastair
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
350 TBI
any relays anywhere I could try?

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Try starting it in neutral? Perhaps the neutral switch on the column is bad.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
If neutral does not do it, there are two terminals on the starter that should have wires. One is constant 12v from battery(large) and other is switched 12v from ignition. You can use a screw driver to short between two terminals. if starter turns, then issue is on ignition side, if it does not then issue is with starter or battery cables/battery

lt1fire

Reaction score
First Name
Alastair
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
350 TBI
Try starting it in neutral? Perhaps the neutral switch on the column is bad.

That didn't work. I'm wondering if there is a problem with the fusible link that goes to the distribution block on the firewall.

lt1fire

Reaction score
First Name
Alastair
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
350 TBI
If neutral does not do it, there are two terminals on the starter that should have wires. One is constant 12v from battery(large) and other is switched 12v from ignition. You can use a screw driver to short between two terminals. if starter turns, then issue is on ignition side, if it does not then issue is with starter or battery cables/battery

Next on my list to try.

lt1fire

Reaction score
First Name
Alastair
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
350 TBI

Well I get sparks but the solenoid and starter don't do anything so I'm guessing now I just have a very very dead solenoid.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
lol now you can smack the fire out of it to see if it will release

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
If you go ahead and remove the starter, do the same test on it using battery and jumper cables.

lt1fire

Reaction score
First Name
Alastair
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
350 TBI
Forgot to post back up on this

New mini tourque starter and it started right up

You must be registered for see images