No crank, no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fight Milk

Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Suburban
Engine Size
350 TBI
I searched around before creating another thread, and found some similar issues, but none that were quite the same as mine.

1989 Suburban V2500, stock 350TBI and TH400.

I parked my Suburban, got in it, started it, and it ran for about a second before it died. Checked all the fuses, battery is still good, grounds look good, replaced the ignition control module and the ignition switch and most of the time when I turn the key to "on", I don't even get the buzzer or fuel pump to prime. Every once in a while, if it's been sitting for a week or so, it'll crank and fire and run fine, then it won't restart. It seems like an electrical issue to me because the buzzer usually won't work and the pump won't prime. I noticed a day or two before it died that while sitting in traffic the rpm would dip pretty low, but it didn't die.

Could it be a bad solenoid? Would that actually have caused it die initially?

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Sounds like a main power supply issue. Maybe even ignition switch issues.

AKguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 Crew Cab Silverado
Engine Size
I had a similiar issue and found the battery feed entering the firewall side of the distribution/fuse block was loose. Looked fine until I grabbed it.

Fight Milk

Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Suburban
Engine Size
350 TBI
Sounds like a main power supply issue. Maybe even ignition switch issues.
When I put the new ignition switch on, it looked like it was being engaged properly, but it hasn't solved the problem. I'll take another look this weekend.

Fight Milk

Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Suburban
Engine Size
350 TBI
I had a similiar issue and found the battery feed entering the firewall side of the distribution/fuse block was loose. Looked fine until I grabbed it.
Thanks! I'll look into this, too

Hugomartin

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 3/4 ton 5.7 350 suburban
Engine Size
Try ignition module under dizzy cap. Hard to get to it’s a workout

Fight Milk

Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Suburban
Engine Size
350 TBI
Try ignition module under dizzy cap. Hard to get to it’s a workout
Yup, that was the first part I replaced. It started up immediately. I turned it off, went to restart it, and it nothing doing

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
It's not a solenoid,it's not a module,it's not an ignition switch. It's a power issue,first thing I'd check is clean tight battery connections,then check for clean tight ground connections,frame,body and engine. Make sure the hot lead to the starter is clean and tight.

Hugomartin

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 3/4 ton 5.7 350 suburban
Engine Size
It's not a solenoid,it's not a module,it's not an ignition switch. It's a power issue,first thing I'd check is clean tight battery connections,then check for clean tight ground connections,frame,body and engine. Make sure the hot lead to the starter is clean and tight.
Yes and make sure the bolt isn’t too deep for the battery or get washers so it’s good n tight without stripping the battery internals lol

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Don't just go randomly checking a bunch of stuff.

Go to the resource library on this forum and download the maintenance manual for your truck. I believe the troubleshooting steps are in a "drivability and emissions" manual for the newer TBI trucks. There is a troubleshooting flowchart for "crank, no start". Follow that procedure to actually find your issue in the least amount of time without just throwing parts at it.

Fight Milk

Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Suburban
Engine Size
350 TBI
I know ground issues can be gremlins, so I'm going to look into this, too. It's just odd that the lights always work, regardless if the no crank, no start issue is occurring.

Fight Milk

Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Suburban
Engine Size
350 TBI
Don't just go randomly checking a bunch of stuff.

Go to the resource library on this forum and download the maintenance manual for your truck. I believe the troubleshooting steps are in a "drivability and emissions" manual for the newer TBI trucks. There is a troubleshooting flowchart for "crank, no start". Follow that procedure to actually find your issue in the least amount of time without just throwing parts at it.
Thanks for guidance! This is the kind of thing I'm looking for. Although, when I search for anything under the Resources tab, I get no results, so I may not have full access yet.

dboydb

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
CK20
Engine Size
If the lights work when it won't crank and stay bright while trying to crank, I would look at the neutral safety switch.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
If the lights work when it won't crank and stay bright while trying to crank, I would look at the neutral safety switch.
Neutral safety switch won't cause it to die,it will create a no crank. He didn't throw the lights into the mix until post 11,which kinda sent me down the wrong path on post 8.

Fight Milk

Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Suburban
Engine Size
350 TBI
Neutral safety switch won't cause it to die,it will create a no crank. He didn't throw the lights into the mix until post 11,which kinda sent me down the wrong path on post 8.
Apologies, I thought I included that in the original post. I put the old ignition switch back in last night to see if I had something adjusted or installed incorrectly, but no dice.

So the buzzer works when the key is in the ignition, the headlights/taillights work, the cigarette lighter works, but the windows and blower/AC won't work. There's no noise from the starter, no dash lights come on, and the fuel pump won't prime. I guess I should test the voltage at the starter solenoid next. I wonder if maybe the ECM could be kaput.

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128