No one has a practical use for dually split rims anymore, right?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
Here's another good use for them, winter heat !!!
These weren't split rims, but you understand the theory.
This keeps my 1,000 square foot cabin VERY comfy in the winter.
You must be registered for see images attach
Pretty cool. Those log wood style stoves will put out some good heat but damn will they eat through the wood. You must have one hell of a wood pile. :flamingdevil:

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
Pretty cool. Those log wood style stoves will put out some good heat but damn will they eat through the wood. You must have one hell of a wood pile. :flamingdevil:

It'll handle pieces up to 28" long, but not real big diameter.
I average 5 to 6 cords of Juniper every winter, but these old bones get chilled real easy, so it averages 85 degrees or so in the house no matter how cold it gets outside.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350

What's a woodpile ???
This pic only shows half the pile, the other half is hidden behind what you see here.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I still run the locking ring type on the 75...
@bucket I guess i may be misunderstanding. Is there a split rim type that DOES NOT use a locking ring?
What is the difference?

Most of my split rims appear to have rings that have a small gap between each end when fully in the rim.
I have like 14 split rims, most with tires.
3 or so are dually rims

oldretiredafguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1988, 1988, 1991, 1983
Truck Model
GMC V-Jimmy, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC-2500 CrewCab
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350
I still have quite a few split rim wheels on my older GMC trucks. I made a loop of chain with a quick disconnect I use when I air them up. If the side hole is too small for the chain, I'll grab a 1" ratchet strap to do the same thing. Sort of like using a coat or old towel on a long winch line; better safe than sorry.

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
@bucket I guess i may be misunderstanding. Is there a split rim type that DOES NOT use a locking ring?
What is the difference?

Most of my split rims appear to have rings that have a small gap between each end when fully in the rim.
3 or so are dually rims

Sounds like you have sure enough head removing split rims. There is a 3 piece wheel that one cannot see the "split" ring.

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
What's a woodpile ???
This pic only shows half the pile, the other half is hidden behind what you see here.
Yep, that is indeed one hell of a wood pile. I feel exhausted and sore just looking at it.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
What is the difference?

3 or so are dually rims

The RH5 type is the failure prone one that became known as the "widow makers". The other locking ring types are perfectly safe AS LONG AS there's no heavy rust or cracks that could cause them to fail. They also need installed by someone that knows exactly what they are doing.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Sounds like you have sure enough head removing split rims. There is a 3 piece wheel that one cannot see the "split" ring.
3 were mounted on my truck, 4 are on my old car trailer, and 2 are on my skidsteer trailer. they are all chevy/ford 8 bolt pattern with what appears the same retaining setup, but could differ. some are rusted, some arent. whatever wasnt on stuff, are laying about in piles or in my shed. i dont plan to use any of them, i safely deflated the 3 that had air and the rest are either flat or just no tires mounted.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
What is the difference?

Yes, there are two piece split rims from years ago. Basically the small outer ring has an oval or egg shaped hole. The large wheel hub and rim has a top groove that is also made with an oval.

To remove the tire, after the air is out, you twist the small outer ring 90 degrees and lift it off. Problem is, the two pieces rust together and it will not twist off. You would have to beat the ring down into the tire and work it loose. By the time you are done the metal ring and wheel are bent or stretched out of shape.

Reinflating with a new tire was always very hazardous. You could not inflate the assembly in the safety cage because the small ring would sag down and not catch the lock area correctly. So to inflate, wheel laying flat, long hose and stand back.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
so prob not worth trying to sell or finding homes for them? Scrap iron, home made wood stoves, fire rings, etc???

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
so prob not worth trying to sell or finding homes for them? Scrap iron, home made wood stoves, fire rings, etc???

Or, buy a bunch more, weld them together, and make a serious retaining wall for the driveway.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Or, buy a bunch more, weld them together, and make a serious retaining wall for the driveway.
Thats.... not a bad idea actually. Coat them with some thick globs of POR-15 and weather-tight em if you dont want them to ever have to be replaced. IT will be GLORIOUS. I do have a secondary part of my driveway that goes up to the back of the house(house is in the ground, on a hill. 2nd floor is ground level out back) that is just a short shot, but its definitely showing decay out the side with a culvert that allows rainwater through. Slanting every year a bit more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K10_Travis