No ignition power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

84K5offroad

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Jimmy High Sierra
Engine Size
Yes I still have headlights. All my lights work outside and in the cab. My dash doesn’t work which I don’t understand because it’s a Dakota digital and it runs right from the battery. But my radio doesn’t work, door locks, windows, and it doesn’t even try to turn over. I’ll check that wire and see what it shows me. But I’ve never had a head ache like this before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Yes I still have headlights. All my lights work outside and in the cab. My dash doesn’t work which I don’t understand because it’s a Dakota digital and it runs right from the battery. But my radio doesn’t work, door locks, windows, and it doesn’t even try to turn over. I’ll check that wire and see what it shows me. But I’ve never had a head ache like this before.

But my radio doesn’t work, door locks, windows, and it doesn’t even try to turn over.

That is because the only electrical circuits that are not ignition switched are the ones that were discussed previously (i.e. head lights, tail/front parking/marker & plate lights, dome and courtesy lights, horn, cigarette lighter and a dash clock if so equipped). There are fuses that protect those circuits/components (excluding the H/L's which are protected by a 16 amp circuit breaker in the headlight switch). But - unlike all the other electricals in the truck - the line sides of those fuses are supplied directly from the battery on the upper RED 2 lead.

Everything else in the fuse block is fed through the ignition switch. There is one exception - the fuse for the brake/hazard lights is fed independently of the ignition switch - but it is branched off before the splice point for the 2 leads that go to the ignition. The brake/hazard fuse also supplies the circuit breaker for the power door locks - so since the locks are out, that branch leg is most likely dead too. That may help you locate the wiring problem (see the dwgs below). That should tell you that the loss of continuity exists somewhere between the bulkhead connection block and the splice point:

You must be registered for see images attach

Your Dakota IP should not be wired to be hot all the time - it is designed to be ignition switched (and fused):

Ultimately, solving this is probably going to involve some digging. For example, you might have to remove the fuse block from the bulkhead connector and/or break into the harness to locate the splice point to locate where the loss of power is occurring. After that it is a simple matter of repairing a terminal end or splicing in a new section of cable.

84K5offroad

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Jimmy High Sierra
Engine Size
So I was able to locate a rotted wire behind the block after digging around and tracing wires. So I got all my power back and lost my spark. So now I’m trying to figure out why I have no spark.

Cuba

Likes to work alone in her woman cave
Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
So I was able to locate a rotted wire behind the block after digging around and tracing wires. So I got all my power back and lost my spark. So now I’m trying to figure out why I have no spark.

I would recheck fuses just to be sure nothing else blew while digging through trying to find issues.

84K5offroad

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Jimmy High Sierra
Engine Size
Fuses look good. And that is not easy. Why they put that fuse box so high on the firewall I have no clue. I have to take the cluster out to get to the top

Cuba

Likes to work alone in her woman cave
Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
I don't remember them that hard to get to, but I agree, the top ones are a little tougher.

Well, where did you check for spark? At the coil or end of plug wire? In order for spark to be produced, coil tower (not pickup coil in dizzy, is what I'm referring to) needs good power & ground.

Gray connector, Pink wire should be hot key on. If you have power there, we'll move to the next step and check module

84K5offroad

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Jimmy High Sierra
Engine Size
It’s the ignition module. I chased all the wires around for a few hours and came to the distributor. I have power going in but not coming out.