No crank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsharkey1250

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
I have an 87 Sierra Classic with a 350. I have been fixing this up of the last 5 years. When I parked it 5 years age to start this project I never had any problems with it starting. Now, the headlights come on and I can hear the fuel pump prime. Turn the key and nothing. The brake light on the dash comes on and thats it. I have a new battery and did the big 4 up grade. Checked my fuses, good. I pulled the starter to test it and it tests out good. I have no clue. I did just put in a new clutch master cylinder. could it be something with a safety switch so it won't start without the clutch pushed in?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I have an 87 Sierra Classic with a 350. I have been fixing this up of the last 5 years. When I parked it 5 years age to start this project I never had any problems with it starting. Now, the headlights come on and I can hear the fuel pump prime. Turn the key and nothing. The brake light on the dash comes on and thats it. I have a new battery and did the big 4 up grade. Checked my fuses, good. I pulled the starter to test it and it tests out good. I have no clue. I did just put in a new clutch master cylinder. could it be something with a safety switch so it won't start without the clutch pushed in?

It's definitely possible. I would suspect the clutch position switch, the neutral safety switch, the ignition switch, or a burned fusible link going to the starter in descending order. The clutch position switch is on a bracket adjacent to the clutch pedal arm. The other two are on the steering column. Before you do anything, though, I'd see if you might have touched something on the clutch position switch when you were under the dash.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dixierj