No crank no click no start 81 c2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ajwic1

Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Truck Year
Truck Model
c2500
Engine Size
5.7L v8 (350)
I have a 1981 gmc c2500 and went to turn the truck on the other day and got nothing. No click no crank no start.

Lights on dash dont come on but blinkers/headlights do. Battery is charged. I changed the ignition switch on the column and it looked fried. Thought that would fix it but still nothing. Looked to change the ignition fuse but the fuses are wires not a traditional fuse? (Forgive me, electrical is really not my strong suit). Gonna go buy a bunch of fuses tomorrow and change all the others. Im kind of stumped here if anyone knows what to try next that would be great

Attachments

• IMG_2610.jpeg
    IMG_2610.jpeg
    165.7 KB · Views: 12

Dmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
There is a fusible link in one of the main supply wires, which is basically a wire that a fuse. Also check the battery terminals. My sons 68 C10 would light the dash but not crank. Discovered the negative terminal was corroded between the terminal and ground wire clamp. As soon as I cleaned both sides up it fired immediately.

Trucksareforwork

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Geoff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
One more to check: Is the ignition switch wire (the little one) on the starter loose? Good battery, no click, no fuse blown I'm checking that little wire on the starter solenoid for running loose. I had one do this to me earlier this year where it was getting intermittent when hot; and it turned out the little nut was loose.

ajwic1

Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Truck Year
Truck Model
c2500
Engine Size
5.7L v8 (350)
So ive checked all those as best i can, fusable link has power at the firewall. Battery terminals are fine i believe. I was able to jump the starter with a screwdriver. No power to solenoid pole (purple wire) no traced it back and no power to neutral safety. Red wire on ignition switch has power, but i cant seem to find where the purple wire goes back from neutral safety to ignition switch. I believe its the red that powers the ignition switch so break must be somewhere in the purple wire? Am i thinking correctly?

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
So ive checked all those as best i can, fusable link has power at the firewall. Battery terminals are fine i believe. I was able to jump the starter with a screwdriver. No power to solenoid pole (purple wire) no traced it back and no power to neutral safety. Red wire on ignition switch has power, but i cant seem to find where the purple wire goes back from neutral safety to ignition switch. I believe its the red that powers the ignition switch so break must be somewhere in the purple wire? Am i thinking correctly?
Not necessarily. Take the ignition switch back off stick a small Screwdriver where the actuator rod goes and try working the switch by hand. The ignition rack in the columns break and won't push the switch far enough if at all. If it works manually, you need to start looking in the column

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eri24