Newb question on valve cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
So I swapped out the old valve cover gasket on the passenger side, no problem, but when I got to the driver's side, unbolted screws and moved harness out of the way, and also tried moving brake booster clamp thing out of the way, but I still could not wiggle the cover off because of clearance issues with the AC compressor.
How do I get this darn valve cover off? I shouldn't have to disconnect the ac lines, right?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Yes you probably have to remove more items. Rather then disconnecting the A/C lines simply unbolt the compressor and move it with the lines out of the way. The valve cover, has a tray, for each grommet on the cover, and they fit in between the valves. So you have to pull the valve cover straight up, the distance of the height, of the valve cover, to clear the valves

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
Exactly, thanks that was the problem I was having – not able to clear the rocker arms.

I'm also going to be changing the belts soon, but have always worked on serpentine belts with one of the pulleys that provides the tension, never dealt with the V-belt system. So just losen the bolts that hold the ac compressor to the bracket (pivot and sliding bolts) and that should do it? Or do I need to remove the whole bracket that mounts the ac compressor to the block?
As for putting that tension back on, I can't find anything on how you hold/pull back the pulley to get tension and then crank down the nut to hold it. How is this done? I purchased a v-belt tension gauge, and I'm wondering how you can make fine adjustments to the belt tension when once you unscrew that sliding bolt, the pulley will just slide down.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
just loosen the bolts that have a slotted hole or a pivot and there you go and as for tightening the belt back up you'll need a pry bar or they make a little tool that slides onto a spot on the brackets and you can get a better bite and a better angle, but a pry bar works, its just a little tricky.

just find a good spot to pry on and make sure you're in a good spot where your pry bar wont slip off and have your ratchet or wrench ready so you can hold the tension and tighten the nut or bolt at the same time. Or you can cheat and have a friend help!

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
X2. You probably need to completely remove the compressor from the bracket. If its easier to remove the bracket from the engine block then do that. Just do which ever is easier for you.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Yes you probably have to remove more items. Rather then disconnecting the A/C lines simply unbolt the compressor and move it with the lines out of the way. The valve cover, has a tray, for each grommet on the cover, and they fit in between the valves. So you have to pull the valve cover straight up, the distance of the height, of the valve cover, to clear the valves
Yup the compressor will have to be moved and sat to the side.

Sent from the dust in front of you!

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Also you will need a half inch socket wrench to put tension on the compressor. That's what that square hole on the compressor bracket is for.

Sent from the dust in front of you!

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
Great! Thanks for the tips. I will look into that pry bar thing too: I think I'll go for a tool specifically designed for it so I can do it right my first time.
Compressor has it's own hole for applying tension, are there any other tricks for the other pulleys? (I have 4)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85Shortsquare