New tool for the shop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
I have a rule that if I borrow a tool more than twice I have to buy one for myself. That's how I ended up watching craigslist for a chop saw. An ad came up from a contractor that was selling a bunch of tools and a cold cut saw was on the list. A cold cut saw uses a toothed blade instead of an abrasive one, the advantages being they cut faster, cooler, and don't flex off the cutting line.

Went and picked up the saw but soon realized cutting material with the saw sitting on the floor sucks. My back was killing me. I googled "chop saw stand" and found a welding forum with some good examples of how to make one. (http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?12430-Chop-Saw-Mobile-Workstation&highlight=stand)

Picked up some raw material from the local steel yard then spent the next couple of weeks tweaking the basic design to my liking. Here's what I ended up with.

The saw and stand in the stored position.

You must be registered for see images attach

The upright in the back becomes a material support.

I added a carousel mount for the material support which allows stock to be cut on a 45 degree angle when needed.

A closer look at the storage part of the project.

I'm pretty happy with the way this thing turned out. I won't bother showing you any closeups of my welds because prior to starting this project I had about 20 minutes of self-taught practice with a mig welder. They don't look pretty but this thing is hella strong.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Those are nice! I have used them and they do cut very well. A little sketchy on thin stuff but once you get the hang of it it's cake!

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Also nice stand!

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Thanks.

I had only used an abrasive saw before but read about these and it's true, they are really nice to use. The first couple cuts I was like "Holy crap, this thing is awesome!"

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Well dadgum :love62:

Smitch320

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mitchell
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350/SM465 Short Bed
That thing is badass!

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
(Figured it would be easier to add to this thread than start a new one.)

I was driving to the hardware store yesterday and stopped at a garage sale, which is something I never do, but since it was on the way I thought I'd take a quick look. Nothing of interest, but I asked the guy if he had any tools he wanted to sell. He said he had an old vise sitting on the floor back in the corner, I dug it out and it looked like it had potential.

The guy only wanted $20 for it so I brought it home, disassembled it, and gave it a going over with the blast cabinet. It's a Prentiss 93, I don't know when it was made but they started producing these in 1925. The jaws are 4.6" wide, open 7", and it weighs 64 pounds. It will get a coat of paint, but after that I'm not sure if I'll keep it or flip it for some quick cash. Either way, I think it was a good score.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Nice score! Looks to have a swivel base too. Hard to get a good deal on a quality vice anymore.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
The vise turned out too nice to keep. My vises have to tolerate things like sledge hammers and fire so this one was sold on craiglist for $200. The guy that bought it didn't even question the price, makes me wish I had asked more for it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeD