New swap project in the planning stage right now

Long or short bed 4X4?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cooperhw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
1978, 1981, 1983
Truck Model
C-10, K-20, C-20
Engine Size
5.7L
I have a few questions for you all. I have a couple square body trucks that have been waiting their turn at the table (so to speak) or their turn at the chopping block as it may turn out.
I have 83 model C20 pickup with a good body I am considering building into a round eye K10 with K20 axles. I have a good set of fenders, and core support for a round eye. will these bolt up to the 83?
I have a K10 frame with dual tanks, will this bolt up to the C20 body other than the transmission hump?
I know the axles I purchased will bolt up to a half ton frame because they are currently attached to the frame I bought. Any other changes needed to make these axles live under the K10?
What are the differences between a 2wd frame and a 4wd? Would be real easy to just put the axles under the truck on the left, other than the fact that then I would have two long beds instead of one long bed and one short bed.
Lastly, this chassis with the axles in place is a long bed and my donor body is also a long bed (which I kinda like) but when you sell a lifted long bed truck in the future how much of a hit do you take compared to a short bed truck? I am pretty much tuned into the who 2 wheel drive deal short vs. Long, and it's considerable.
The beauty of leaving it alone is I don't have to cut the bed down or find a short bed.
Anyhow, I am really just wanting to pick the brains here to see who has done this type of swap. Oh yeah, I have a clear title to both my yellow squares. the donor chassis, the title went with the cab before I bought it. The first and second pic show my two yellow squares. The one on the left is my potential donor/builder. the one on the right is my old trusty K20 I've had for about 15 years. I leave it up at my cabin so the mice will have something to chew on when they get bored and cold. No need to have 2 long beds as far as I can tell other that ease of build.
You must be registered for see images attach

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Frames are different in the front 2wd vs 4wd. But swaps had been done before of 4wd parts on 2wd frame

cooperhw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
1978, 1981, 1983
Truck Model
C-10, K-20, C-20
Engine Size
5.7L
I figured they had. I am wondering what exactly has to be done. It's probably in my best interest to use the short bed frame I have and put the 3/4 ton axles under it and sit the body on that. trying to be lazy.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Whatever way You go, have one four weeeel drive.

cooperhw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
1978, 1981, 1983
Truck Model
C-10, K-20, C-20
Engine Size
5.7L
I already have my k20. ALWAYS plan to keep it. This build/questions are,all based towards my extra c20, chassis with axles, and k10 short Bed frame.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
That would be my vote. Just use a short bed k10 frame.
If swapping 2wd to 4wd, I believe one of off road stores has front engine cross member for the swap
I figured they had. I am wondering what exactly has to be done. It's probably in my best interest to use the short bed frame I have and put the 3/4 ton axles under it and sit the body on that. trying to be lazy.

Last edited:

cooperhw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
1978, 1981, 1983
Truck Model
C-10, K-20, C-20
Engine Size
5.7L
Yeah, I know you're right. Not to mention then I have 2 k20's. Big whoop. I got a real nice k10 frame I bought a few years ago for $200 with the dual tanks on it.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
I say go with the K10 shortbed because long wheel bases tend to get high centered a lot and scraping the mid sections.

cooperhw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
1978, 1981, 1983
Truck Model
C-10, K-20, C-20
Engine Size
5.7L
I like long bed 4x4's. Already got one, don't need 2.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
What is the length of the chevy shortbed for the sake of curiosity?

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
In addition to the issues with the front frame sections if using the C20 frame, you also have to swap out the rear spring hangers from a 4WD frame as they are longer. GM did this so they didn't have to run blocks in the rear like Ford and Dodge did. Personally, having had both long and short bed 4x4's, I like the way a long bed handles. That was one of the reasons I sold my K15 and got the K30. Here's an idea what your K10 short bed project would look like. I would do the K10 frame with K20 running gear for your project since you already have a K20.