new starter and ring gear( one click)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

85DIESEL

Reaction score
First Name
Brody
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
replaced the starter and ring gear on my 6.2. now when ever I go to start it there is just one click like the solenoid. then I have to get underneath with a socket on the crank pulley. once I manually turn the motor over a little bit the starter will engage. I'm getting really pissed because its a pain in the a$$ to do every time. I'm just learning so I need some advice.

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Is the starter gear getting stuck in the teeth of the ring gear? You may need to shim the starter so that you have some clearance between the starter gear teeth and ring gear teeth.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Is the starter gear getting stuck in the teeth of the ring gear? You may need to shim the starter so that you have some clearance between the starter gear teeth and ring gear teeth.
Also,while cranking the engine with the starter,does it make a lot of loud noises,that is the sign that the starter needs shimming.
An easy process and the starter does`nt have to be removed,just the two mounting bolts loosened and one removed,shims shove in through the craxk,one end of the shim is slotted through the bolt hole so it slides into position then the other bolt shoves through the hole in the other end.They even have a handydandy little handle on the end for maneuvering um aroun.

bigcountryguy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
Just be careful with the starter bolts, 6.2s are bad about tearing them out of the block, and even breaking the ear off the block, make shure you put the starter bracket back on too. I always use a little blue loctite on the threads to make shure they don't loosen up

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising