New member intro and questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrgoodwrench

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
silverado
Engine Size
Sweet looking rig you found and welcome to the site. Your 241 is a good t/case for general offroading, but since you have larger tires and if you plan on playing hard you may want to upgrade to the 205. there is a bracket from the factory to bolt to the trans to a 205 but they are hard to find. You might find one aftermarket but not to sure. no welding or fabricating to do. Your front diff looks to be some sort of LSD devise that has clutches in it so you should at a LSD additive to the gear oil. It also looks like you had some water intrusion since the oil looks a little milky. you may want to see where you breather tube is at for height and for cracks.

I have to say you're lucky the previous owner put the D60 in the front for you. that's a pricy upgrade.
Thanks yea im pretty happy with the purchace. If i were to get the adapter your talking about wouldn't i still need to do something about mounting the case to the crossmember and the shifter and the speedo?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
IIRC, the adapter should just replace the one you have and mount in the same place. Later 205 models had electronic speedos so there are parts available for that. The shifter hole will have to be cut out and you can seal the other hole with a piece of sheet metal and bolt, screw, or pop rivet down. If it were mine with no welder, I would tape the hole closed then seal the sheet metal on top. Correct way would be to weld it in of course.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
:welcome:

mrgoodwrench

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
silverado
Engine Size
Just did my first re gear 14bolt ff rear 7.5 thousanths back lash pinnion bearing preload 30in lbs. Please give opinions of my contact pattern. Whould you run it? Will it be strong and last? If not how would you adjust? Thanks mike
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
To see the best pattern, you need to load the gears. One way is to use a pry bar rubbing on the smooth side of the ring gear. Then spin the yoke through the marking paste. You should pry hard enough that you need a wrench to turn the pinion. Picture of the drive pattern is most important, your second picture.

mrgoodwrench

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
silverado
Engine Size
I ran that pattern with my hand and a rag on the ring gear but will run it again with a pry bar and more preasure and report back.

mrgoodwrench

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
silverado
Engine Size
Here is with a pry dar on the ring gear instead of rag and my hand also my marking compound may have been a little drier than yesterday

oldretiredafguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1988, 1988, 1991, 1983
Truck Model
GMC V-Jimmy, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC-2500 CrewCab
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350
Welcome to the site from another new guy from N. Texas.

As far as fluids for the axles, I've always used Castrol Full Synthetic 85-90W in all my 3/4 and 1 ton trucks with excellent results. As an old flyer, I always remember the old adage from one of the maintenance guys: "All jet engines use synthetic oil".

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dan87r10