New H1 24 bolt wheels for the K5

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lethermon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Noah
Truck Year
1984/1986
Truck Model
C10/C30
Engine Size
Hey guys I just bought some 8 lug axles off of a buddy the rear is a 14bolt and a dana 44 up front 4.10 gears. I got a pretty good deal on them and so I was on the hunt for some new tires and wheels. I found these H1 wheels that are off of the upper armour H1's and have runflats in them. I payed 800 for a set of 4 and they are all if not brand new than verrrryyy lightly used. Any Ideas if I will need to use spacers ?
You must be registered for see images

Sachmo

Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
350/sm465
I don't know about the spacer but those are going to look SWEET man.
:headbang:

Lethermon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Noah
Truck Year
1984/1986
Truck Model
C10/C30
Engine Size
thanks man, the pictue doesnt do the tires justice that tread is meaty.

bulldog69

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
hey guys i just bought some 8 lug axles off of a buddy the rear is a 14bolt and a dana 44 up front 4.10 gears. I got a pretty good deal on them and so i was on the hunt for some new tires and wheels. I found these h1 wheels that are off of the upper armour h1's and have runflats in them. I payed 800 for a set of 4 and they are all if not brand new than verrrryyy lightly used. Any ideas if i will need to use spacers ?
You must be registered for see images
hey thats a sweet deal , but i would say yes on the spacers .

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Damn, heavy duty looking.

Lethermon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Noah
Truck Year
1984/1986
Truck Model
C10/C30
Engine Size
yea they are hogs.. fresh from iraq.

heavyleft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10/K5
Engine Size
350ci
Yes, absolutely they will need spacers as is.

Couple options if I may....

1. Leave as is, must have spacers. Try to get them as balanced as possible or they will run like poo on the road.

2. They are heavy as sh*t as is. Another option is to get them re-centered. Lighten the weight and you will spend about just as much on spacers. Re-centered = no spacers.

3. If you do option two, get rid of those run flats.....useless for everyday vehicle use and not meant for off road abuse in case of flat. They are useless for civilian use...meant to get Hummer out of combat when bullets are flying. Less weight also.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I thought the run flats are what makes them beadlock?

heavyleft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10/K5
Engine Size
350ci
Yes and no. It bead locks the back side of the rim. The front is locked by the ump-teen bolts on the front side plate. Military bead locks are not meant for civilian use....as mentioned before. They make the tires much heavier and next to impossible to balance properly.

Most re-center kits come with bead lock rings to compensate for re-centering. There is also an aftermarket internal bead lock to replace the military one that is much lighter and for ease of balancing.

Lethermon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Noah
Truck Year
1984/1986
Truck Model
C10/C30
Engine Size
So i talked to the guy i bought the wheels from ( he runs the bajas on his dodge) he said that re-centering the wheels should only be done by a experienced shop otherwise the balance can get off and that might = death or wobbles leading to my death. He said that spacers would be the best bet and that all I would have to do is take my time and get them balanced as possible(same as heavy). he also said something about using a duallys front hub? to bring the front wheels out more, and just run spacers in the rear.
My friends dad is the 1st Sergent at the local base he said he can remove the runflats for me with their tool/machine.

heavyleft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10/K5
Engine Size
350ci
So i talked to the guy i bought the wheels from ( he runs the bajas on his dodge) he said that re-centering the wheels should only be done by a experienced shop otherwise the balance can get off and that might = death or wobbles leading to my death. He said that spacers would be the best bet and that all I would have to do is take my time and get them balanced as possible(same as heavy). he also said something about using a duallys front hub? to bring the front wheels out more, and just run spacers in the rear.
My friends dad is the 1st Sergent at the local base he said he can remove the runflats for me with their tool/machine.

I don't know about running dually front hubs. Sounds legit in logic terms. Also seems like alot of work and money to not get new rims or re-center.

Yes, at a minimum, if you can, remove the run flats, it will balance much easier and will be lighter.

Yeah, I wasn't suggesting you re-center the rims yourself, it should be done by an experienced shop. Just an option. Check out the cost difference for re-entering kit + qualified shop doing the work vs Spacers. I'm just not a fan of spacers. One more thing in between the rim and hub to break and cause who knows what kind of damage and pain......I can only speculate.

Also on the spacers......just really depends on your plans with the rig. Mall Crawler or Weekend Offroad Warrior. Everyone has their opinions on spacers, safe or unsafe.......not my thing cause I wheel my rig pretty often.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Yes and no. It bead locks the back side of the rim. The front is locked by the ump-teen bolts on the front side plate.

Unless the new 24 bolt wheels are different, this is not correct.

On the 8 & 12 bolt wheels, the bolts around the perimeter are holding the two parts of the rim shell together but by themselves they do not provide any beadlocking function. The runflat insert is almost as wide as the rim except for a small gap at each side, once assembled both the inner and outer tire beads are pinched between the runflat and rim lip.

The whole point of running H1 wheels of any kind is the benefit of the beadlock. Imo, they are not worth using without the beadlock feature - it's like buying a Corvette with a V6, all of the looks and none of the performance. One option to lighten the inserts is to cut them down almost level with the wheel (still a beadlock but no runflat feature) or you can buy PVC beadlock inserts from several vendors.

No the military never intended for them to be used by the civilian world but then again GM never intended for these trucks to be lifted and run larger than 31" tires.

It's possible to run the stock H1 wheels on standard SRW axles but you'll need 2" spacers to get the track width back close to stock.

Another option is dually axles but you'll have to swap to a D60 front as there were no factory dually D44's. Dually axles allow you to run the wheels without any spacers and be at stock track width.

Lethermon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Noah
Truck Year
1984/1986
Truck Model
C10/C30
Engine Size
Thanks john yea I'm wanting to keep the deadlocks , I've heard people call it cutting Down the " Mohawk" on the runflats . I'm.sure between 5 runflats on the truck trimming them Down. Will save a ton of weight

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Unless the new 24 bolt wheels are different, this is not correct.

On the 8 & 12 bolt wheels, the bolts around the perimeter are holding the two parts of the rim shell together but by themselves they do not provide any beadlocking function. The runflat insert is almost as wide as the rim except for a small gap at each side, once assembled both the inner and outer tire beads are pinched between the runflat and rim lip.

The whole point of running H1 wheels of any kind is the benefit of the beadlock. Imo, they are not worth using without the beadlock feature - it's like buying a Corvette with a V6, all of the looks and none of the performance. One option to lighten the inserts is to cut them down almost level with the wheel (still a beadlock but no runflat feature) or you can buy PVC beadlock inserts from several vendors.

No the military never intended for them to be used by the civilian world but then again GM never intended for these trucks to be lifted and run larger than 31" tires.

It's possible to run the stock H1 wheels on standard SRW axles but you'll need 2" spacers to get the track width back close to stock.

Another option is dually axles but you'll have to swap to a D60 front as there were no factory dually D44's. Dually axles allow you to run the wheels without any spacers and be at stock track width.

Thanks for clearing that up :) If I'm not mistaken, the inserts are made of magnesium and care must be taken when cutting them down. Is that right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
squareframe