New For Me 1985 Silverado 20 6.2 Diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
Closest city is Naches/Selah/Ellensburg, Way up the Wenas Valley 3 1/2 miles above the lake 18501 N. Wenas Rd,. I was gonna buy a place in Black Diamond when I was first married, as I worked at Engstrom Machine Works in Tukwila, glad I ended up here, grew up here. Yes that is an elk on our front porch.

You must be registered for see images attach

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Beautiful area! I remember now. You were in the fire this summer.
We got elk too, but I keep them penned up! Lol

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
How do you know it needs an injection pump? You know if the 6.2 just gets a leak in 1 return line it will take forever to prime the injector pump and will bleed off every time you shut it down.Same if the injector pump needs a check valve. If it was mine it would get a pusher pump anyway, it makes the injector pumps life easier. I'd check my return lines thoroughly and install a pusher pump, just to see what happens

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
Haven't posted about this pile in awhile. I have worked on the 6.2, rebuilt the pump, new block heater new glow plug controller, glow plugs checked good. Batteries are ok, but no start. My 73 K20 is down to the frame, and my 73 K10 front end is wobbly, and getting a bad case of the square body blues. I think I will pull the 6.2 out, have it sold, and install the 454. transmission is a 400, will reseal and filter, hope that's all. Looks like a direct drop in, motor mounts on Summit are the same, and I think (because it's a GM, not a Ford,) all the dimensions between the 6.2, and the 454 as far as trans to motor mounts will be the same. Been looking at posts on here, and it's been done. Chime in if I am missing something.

Attachments

• IMG_2075~photo.JPG
    IMG_2075~photo.JPG
    226.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3547~photo.JPG
    IMG_3547~photo.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3551~photo.JPG
    IMG_3551~photo.JPG
    183.2 KB · Views: 24

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
Sorry Derek, only diesel I want is in my tractors. Don't like working on them, 6.2 ugh
Before you finally condemn the 6.2L, did you do a compression test?

ByrdDog

Reaction score
First Name
Robbie
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy
Engine Size
I like mine too, but I'm biased, because mine is currently running. If my IP ever takes a dump, it would be hard to justify the cost of a new one just to make 175hp. Good parts are getting expensive & hard to find for the 6.2.

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
I take it all back, she's not the Hoe, POS I thought she was. Had it hit the other day, got up close to 50 degrees, had the batteries charged, and heater plugged in and it hit. Last Saturday, She started, and I actually drove it, 1/4 mile and quit. Wife pulled me home, but was encouraged. The gas gage does not work, and Not sure if the tank switches, so Put on the lift, and was able to pull the drivers side fuel line off. Only got about one qt of three year old diesel, so out of gas. Bypassed the selector valve, with a new piece of 3/8 gas line, good and tight, put in 6 gallons of farm diesel, 8 oz sea foam, and lots of cranking but no start. However later that day, after trying on and off all day, it started, and ran. I carefully took a easy run, and seems good. 40+ lbs of oil pressure, steers excellent, nice brakes. Started to put the shine on her, and hope to finish today, just the first pass, but a dramatic change. Red oxidizes so bad, but is cleaning up good. Jan gave ma a new air freshener, (her rigs all smell good, and she is very fussy about clean interior, and exterior) so should smell good inside. I will blow the inside out with compressed air, and clean up the inside after the wax job. Blue OX, I like it, I take it all back. I went on a three mile drive, had it up to 85, still pulling. Sound good around 55-60. Sets are very comfy. Will see if it starts this morning. Gotta say that I am so grateful to have a square to drive again, withdraws are the pits.

Attachments

• 51a170fa4389ae12-photo.JPG
    51a170fa4389ae12-photo.JPG
    261.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5477~photo.JPG
    IMG_5477~photo.JPG
    166.1 KB · Views: 18

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I take it all back, she's not the Hoe, POS I thought she was. Had it hit the other day, got up close to 50 degrees, had the batteries charged, and heater plugged in and it hit. Last Saturday, She started, and I actually drove it, 1/4 mile and quit. Wife pulled me home, but was encouraged. The gas gage does not work, and Not sure if the tank switches, so Put on the lift, and was able to pull the drivers side fuel line off. Only got about one qt of three year old diesel, so out of gas. Bypassed the selector valve, with a new piece of 3/8 gas line, good and tight, put in 6 gallons of farm diesel, 8 oz sea foam, and lots of cranking but no start. However later that day, after trying on and off all day, it started, and ran. I carefully took a easy run, and seems good. 40+ lbs of oil pressure, steers excellent, nice brakes. Started to put the shine on her, and hope to finish today, just the first pass, but a dramatic change. Red oxidizes so bad, but is cleaning up good. Jan gave ma a new air freshener, (her rigs all smell good, and she is very fussy about clean interior, and exterior) so should smell good inside. I will blow the inside out with compressed air, and clean up the inside after the wax job. Blue OX, I like it, I take it all back. I went on a three mile drive, had it up to 85, still pulling. Sound good around 55-60. Sets are very comfy. Will see if it starts this morning. Gotta say that I am so grateful to have a square to drive again, withdraws are the pits.

YAY!! I am so happy to read this!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurt54