New (dirty) oil filters?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I generally use Napa Gold also, which last I knew was made by Wix. AC Delco is the other one I use. So far, I've never seen any glitter or metal shavings. I've seen paint overspray I think, but that doesn't bother me at all so I've never really taken note of it.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
I only use NAPA Gold filters on my trucks, never any quality issues and haven’t found any shavings or debris.

Yes like so many items, cheaper line and a more expensive line. NAPA filters are made by Wix. The failed Wix filter at camp was the cheaper line filter.

We also use NAPA gold at work.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
overspray on base plate:
And a glitter bomb of metal shavings:
I only use NAPA Gold filters on my trucks, never any quality issues and haven’t found any shavings or debris.

I generally use Napa Gold also, which last I knew was made by Wix. AC Delco is the other one I use. So far, I've never seen any glitter or metal shavings. I've seen paint overspray I think, but that doesn't bother me at all so I've never really taken note of it.

NAPA gold is WIX, NAPA proselect formerly silver line and microgard are also made by WIX but are their lower grade. We use WIX branded filters at work and they have changed some since they were sold, but I've not seen anything concerning like metal. I sometimes wonder when getting parts at a retail parts store what has happened to the part before I bought it. I've got all kinds of stories, opening boxes to find a returned core part inside, a new but obviously previously installed part that is damaged. It's pretty ridiculous.

I've installed who knows how many filters at shop over the years, and never had a problem with WIX, obviously that could change, and I've seen the over spray since they moved manufacturing. Metal fragments, I don't know I wouldn't be to quick to blame WIX for it on one filter, (but of course I do realize it could be their fault). Now if you or several people were seeing this on multiple filter I be more concerned about a wide spread problem.

About 5 years ago ended my time at a gas station service station. I stayed aboard the ship until it closed. The owner there insisted that we purchase and install the cheapest oil filters we could get hold of, that would be champ. Sadly I can't blame them on where they were manufactured as they were a USA made filter, at least at the time. They recommended no more than 3K on oil changes and did not recommend their filters for synthetic oil, because the filters would not last as long as the oil. In my time there we had 2 champ filter separate the can part off the base part of the filter! Lucky one happened the second I fired it up, the other as I was driving past the pump blocks to the parking area. Countless filters that would not thread on because the threads were so poorly made. Now there's a filter I'd never use.

JeffK10America

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You know all filters aren’t created equal . Spend a little more and get a good quality filter .. aka AC Delco motorcraft , ye I know Chevrolet site we’re on ! But anyways Wix is about the best All around filter you can buy . Spin offs like advanced auto sales auto zone .carquest Oreillys are not quality filters . I use to think Fram was the best . No there junk ! Period. So isn’t your engine worth more than a oil filter! I service on average 25 vehicles a month , from Chevy , Ford . Not to mention caterpillar, engines . International engines , John deer , kubota
I’ve been thru it all . A good quality reputable filter company stands buy there filters , if you lose an engine due to a faulty oil filter , they will replace said engine !
Plus I never see grime , metal shavings dirt , overspray etc . And most all the filters I use , commercial trucks are all in plastic .. sealed . Unless there small duty truck filters . Just saying been there !
Happy Memorial Day everyone!

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
@Corvette Ed,

Yeah, I've gone on these sites that show you the differences between oil filters and which ones are better. And then they cut the filters open to show you the better filter element and which ones are doing a better job and whatnot, and Fram is at the bottom of the lists. I think the site may have been sponsored by Wix or one of those. Haven't you seen those sites looking for a good oil filter? I don't know why I use Fram, I think it goes back to when I owned a couple of my first cars, and I just picked it and it seemed to be doing a good job, as well as any other. Sometimes it's cost, sometimes it's whatever is available where I'm at at the time, out on the back roads and stop in somewhere. I know that's not caring much for the thousands of dollars of investment I have in this custom truck you'd think something as important as oil filtration would hold a higher priority with me than it does.

Some of it is how far I'd have to drive to get some special filter and many times being poor I couldn't afford to drive that far to get a oil filter. So I bought what was available at the nearest place to save gas. And that drives a lot of what I do....cost... to get to where this stuff is, and how much it is. Is Fram cheap? No, it's a little more than others. So I'm not trying to save money there. If I was I'd be getting some Chinese knock off for a buck. I don't want to do that. And filters like Royal Purple, is probably the most expensive or some other high end kinds. But I don't really know where to go to get these high end filters, probably because I haven't bothered to look for them. It all boils down to cost, and here I'm endangering my engine due to laziness and don't want to spend the money to keep from grenading my motor? I don't know. I've been using Fram for decades and nothing bad has ever happened so that's the one I use.

Dude...

Dude. Fram used to be an okay filter back in the day, it is moe than well known to be absolute trash these days. I wouldn't put a fram filter on a beater I used to bang back and forth to work, spend the two extra bucks and buy something that won't **** your car up. I always assumed the only reason that they even still sold those things is because girls or cheap *insert random slur of your choice here* bought them because they had zero concept of anything mechanical and ignorant. The same sort of people that probably don't bat an eye at admitting they haven't changed their oil in almost 20k miles and someone told them they might want to consider it. I always figured their engines weren't long lived for this world anyways. The fact that you stated "yeah I've seen thise sites that show how crappy they are but eh I've never cared" blows my mind. What filter is cheaper than a Fram? I didn't think there were any. You mention "chinese knock off filters", you do know fram was bought out many years ago and are just using an old name that once was okay-ish, but these days most are made in China now right? What's more of a china knock off than a fram? I don't think they sell any with chinese writing right on the filter ubnlwess you're in china.

In my teens and 20s I worked at a number of quick lube places including multiple Jiffy Lube and Valvoline shops (both Valvoline Express Care franchises and corporate Valvoline Instant Oil Change shops), I have changed the oil on many thousands of cars and trucks. I can tell you those things are the worst I've ever seen. You may as well just not use an oil filter and fashion some form of bypass. Sure your oil will get dirty, but at least the oil will still flow

Last edited:

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Champion makes a lot of brands of filters.At least they used too.But in todays world who really knows? I've had 50 vehicles in the last 45 years.And most folks I've known have used them.Blew the engine up on every one using a Fram filter....there.Fixed it.Now I'm on my way to wallyworld for another one.lol

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Champion makes a lot of brands of filters.At least they used too.But in todays world who really knows? I've had 50 vehicles in the last 45 years.And most folks I've known have used them.Blew the engine up on every one using a Fram filter....there.Fixed it.Now I'm on my way to wallyworld for another one.lol
I can't answer that question fully but. Champ filters are made by Champion Laboratories. Champion Laboratories may very well make other filters that are sold under a different brand name that are just fine. Honestly I have to admit most of my life I've been a WIX guy so it's the brand I know the most about. Only when I've worked at a shop that did not use and would not allow me to switch to WIX did I have to use another brand on customer cars (still used WIX on my personal rigs).

Not to get to far off topic but this has always been a huge issue from me professionally, so warning side rant: I am not comfortable putting parts on a customer car that I wouldn't put on my own car. That's actually what ended my time with Goodyear. I pulled the last 1/2 warn crappy set of Goodyear tires off my Dodge truck and bought a set of General Grabber AT2, the ones that look like the BFG All terrains. When I did that and LOVED the general's and thought they were 10X the tire the Goodyears were I'd pulled off, I knew it wouldn't be long. I'd have this feeling in the pit of my stomach when I'd tell a customer to buy their over priced tires that I didn't even believe in.

Corvette Ed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eli
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
How can you tell the filter has collapsed? What does it feel like? Is there some kind of terrible sound that happens?
It stated with valve train chatter then like it was getting ready to throw a rod.

Corvette Ed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eli
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I've used simple fram oil filters since the 1970s and never had a problem on none of the many vehicles I've owned.But as my uncle used to say....if it costs more then it must be more better.lol
I had heard the rumors about Fram and thought it was b.s. and then it happened.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I can't answer that question fully but. Champ filters are made by Champion Laboratories. Champion Laboratories may very well make other filters that are sold under a different brand name that are just fine. Honestly I have to admit most of my life I've been a WIX guy so it's the brand I know the most about. Only when I've worked at a shop that did not use and would not allow me to switch to WIX did I have to use another brand on customer cars (still used WIX on my personal rigs).

Not to get to far off topic but this has always been a huge issue from me professionally, so warning side rant: I am not comfortable putting parts on a customer car that I wouldn't put on my own car. That's actually what ended my time with Goodyear. I pulled the last 1/2 warn crappy set of Goodyear tires off my Dodge truck and bought a set of General Grabber AT2, the ones that look like the BFG All terrains. When I did that and LOVED the general's and thought they were 10X the tire the Goodyears were I'd pulled off, I knew it wouldn't be long. I'd have this feeling in the pit of my stomach when I'd tell a customer to buy their over priced tires that I didn't even believe in.
I've known people that did off-road grading jobs and all they would use on their dozers etc were wix filters. Something about the way the wix filters were glued that they couldn't come apart inside and oil leak past the ends of the pleats. But our commercial trucks all use Baldwin filters.

sirweesarunch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
You’ve let your oil run low , you’ve let your oil run long. Way worse than s little dusty residue on your filter !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Maybe I need to watch a updated oil filter You Tube and not be so set in my ways. but like I've said I change my oil every six thousand miles and always have. Maybe that's why I've not had any problems to. But this three thousand mile oil changes business? I don't believe it. Are they trying to tell me that since the '60's the oil has gotten worse and cannot clean the engine as well as good old American oil used to?

Even back then it was recommended to change it every six thousand miles and I really can't see changing it any sooner. I do some in town driving. I have rarely gone on the highway for any length of time. It takes me a real long time to even get to six thousand miles. I don't travel and only did it a few times in my past and it wasn't in my truck, it was in a variety of cars. I keep a close watch on the color of my oil and what it feel like. If I think it needs changing I do it. How about those oil filters you can clean these days? They are like the old timey filters in a cannister? I'd be willing to go that route and just clean mu own filter. Are they like those micron fuel filters like the one I've got on my engine? Does somebody make one for oil? I'll look it up.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
My sister in law works at Fram and said no one there will use them on their own cars. lol My cousin was a regional sales rep for Bosch and used to say Fram was the best marketed garbage on the shelves.

I've always used Mann (German), Wix or Hastings. Hastings was the first to have 2 different filters for the same motor.....turbo vs NA. They added check valves to the turbo ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gewil