New Carpet, install Dynamat first?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra
Engine Size
LS 6.0
I am going to pull the old carpet out of my truck and install the ACC carpet with the mass backing. Should I install Dynamat on the floor before installing the new carpet for heat and noise suppression or the mass backed carpet good enough?

TPISly-C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sly
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 shortbox
Engine Size
LQ4 6.0L
Dyna is a plus for shure! :)

Attachments

• _DSC2989.jpg
    _DSC2989.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 78

deucecoupe

Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I put Dynamat in my '84 C10, had scraps left over from another project. I pulled up the rubber mat and old insulation, cleaned the floor really well, dealt with a few minor rust issues, and then placed the Dynamat right onto the floor. I then put down the old mat & insulation. Doing this made the truck a bit quieter.

I did a different car project and also put the Dynamat Xtreme (foam material) on the inside of doors and trunk. That really quieted down the car, and the doors had a nice "thunk" when closed.

Terry Wilkerson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1500
Engine Size
I don't think it's worth it. These truck didn't come with it and no one complained. Spend your money on something you can see. Just my opinion.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I can speak for heat suppression. Stuff works great. The trans tunnel gets extremely hot in any warm weather. I've only done the front floor pan yet but I did also notice a sound difference.

Then I did the dynaliner, their closed cell foam and that helped even more. The floor would be the hottest part of my truck in the summer, hotter than outside temps, felt like the heater was on. After all the insulation and just a vinyl floor mat the inside temps dramatically came down.
You must be registered for see images attach

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
I did the entire cab floor, rear wall, door panel area and inside of the doors. Overkill? Maybe but it sure is quiet!!

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
How much Kilmat did you need? This enough?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0751CBXBT/
I just bought that exact product not long ago, I do recommend getting one of the metal rollers if you decide to go this route. I ordered a rubber roller & it did not work well so I purchased these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082J3RSDY/

One box is plenty for the floor of the cab, here's what I said about Kilomat in my build thread:

I bought two boxes of Killmat 36 square feet each, one box covered the back of the cab, most of the floor, most of the firewall and cowl. The hardest part of installing this stuff is trying not to have waste, its expensive enough that I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to lay it out with as few cuts as possible.

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
Insulating a metal box will always make it more comfortable to spend time in. Easy decision now that there are less expensive brands than Dynamat.

Originalthor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
At 69 bucks your crazy not too. Thats a pretty good deal. I got mine for 120 but I think it was the next box size bigger. I also did my transmission hump and fire wall with the noico 10 mm stuff. The 27 square foot roll did my firewall twice and my high hump

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Absolutely. Between the KilMat, some Noico closed cell foam and new seals, my truck is so much quieter going down the road. Well worth the investment. I believe I used 2 50sq ft boxes of Kilmat (went a little overboard lol. Did a double layer on the floor and back wall, single up the firewall as far as I could, single on the kick panels and B-pillars under the trim and a few pieces in each door). I then topped it with Noico RED 150mil and used 36sq ft of that. HIGHLY recommend.

Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra
Engine Size
LS 6.0
I can speak for heat suppression. Stuff works great. The trans tunnel gets extremely hot in any warm weather. I've only done the front floor pan yet but I did also notice a sound difference.

Then I did the dynaliner, their closed cell foam and that helped even more. The floor would be the hottest part of my truck in the summer, hotter than outside temps, felt like the heater was on. After all the insulation and just a vinyl floor mat the inside temps dramatically came down.
you get new carpet with the mass backing too after both of those layers?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1977chevyc30