New Carpet, install Dynamat first?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

Rumbledawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 crewcab
Engine Size
Custom Deluxe here, came with a mat on the floor and nothing else. wit a big block and 42" tires i had to always yell at my wife sitting in the pass. seat.
used close to 100 sq ft in my crew. went from the rear winda to the dash and inside and outside of the doors, their like big echo chambers. then laid some closed cell foam on top of it. to get it reeeal quiet though, i also laid in close to 100 sq ft of mass loaded vinyl, then new floor mats. almost caddy quiet now and i don't have to yell at wifey anymore...
You must be registered for see images attach

midwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Looks good. I bought the 36 square foot pack and it was more than enough for my standard cab. I didn't cover 100 percent of the cab but got 95% of the floor and still have over 1/2 the box left.

tater dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
tater
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
Custom Deluxe here, came with a mat on the floor and nothing else. wit a big block and 42" tires i had to always yell at my wife sitting in the pass. seat.
used close to 100 sq ft in my crew. went from the rear winda to the dash and inside and outside of the doors, their like big echo chambers. then laid some closed cell foam on top of it. to get it reeeal quiet though, i also laid in close to 100 sq ft of mass loaded vinyl, then new floor mats. almost caddy quiet now and i don't have to yell at wifey anymore...
good job . im going to need the same as you then if i do the same in my suburban . obviously its all open at the back not like cab so wont get as quiet .

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
you get new carpet with the mass backing too after both of those layers?
A 30-36 sf box will do the whole floor with some left over. 1 layer.
The mass backing doesn’t add much “height” to the assembly. If anything with the ACC carpet I installed, the trans tunnel and seat humps could use some additional foam underlayment to let the carpet fit better (tighter).

If I was doing it again, or if I decide to pull the carpet and fit it better, I’d do 1 layer on floor and add some of the thick foam in the areas mentioned if necessary for a good fit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Downes