New 700R4 Wont Reverse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

84K5

Reaction score
First Name
Jordan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer 4x4
Engine Size
SB 350
Hey guys:

Long time listener, 1st time caller. So short story long, I have an 84 K5 4x4 where the tranny started slipping. I pulled out the tranny, torq conv., and transfer case. Took it to a reputable trans shop and had them rebuild the trans to handle 500 HP (Building a vortec 383) and got a new torq conv. and had them go through the transfer case as well. I installed the whole enchilada this weekend and when I put the rig in reverse there's no engagement. I plan on crawling under the truck tonight and adjusting the linkage from the column to the trans lever to see if maybe it's just not aligning.

I spoke with a buddy and he said since I replaced the radiator for an all aluminum one perhaps the system is dry and I just need to let it run for a while to fill the system up.

Thoughts or ideas????

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Make absolutely sure you have the TV cable installed and adjusted correctly. Make sure the fluid is full. Make sure the shifter is adjusted correctly. After that, time to let the builder look things over. Hopefully it’s something simple like wrong valve body gasket, or some other easy fix while the trans is in the truck. Or, he built it with the wrong combination or pump, reverse housing, piston, or didn’t restrict the bleed hole in the factory aluminum piston

84K5

Reaction score
First Name
Jordan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer 4x4
Engine Size
SB 350
Make absolutely sure you have the TV cable installed and adjusted correctly. Make sure the fluid is full. Make sure the shifter is adjusted correctly. After that, time to let the builder look things over. Hopefully it’s something simple like wrong valve body gasket, or some other easy fix while the trans is in the truck. Or, he built it with the wrong combination or pump, reverse housing, piston, or didn’t restrict the bleed hole in the factory aluminum piston

I'm going to check the linkage adjustment tonight. Anywhere I can find a tutorial on adjusting the TV cable properly?

I have someone hold the lever in the trans all the way down while I pulled the cable tight on the carb and tightened it down, but after talking to the trans shop they stated i did it wrong. i should have opened the carb all the way and pulled the TV cable all the way open and then tightened the TV cable. Which is the proper way????

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Make sure the throttle goes to WOT with the gas pedal. Make sure the floor mat, carpet, etc isn’t preventing the throttle from opening completely. Push the locking tab on the TV cable, slide the adjuster back into the cable casing. Release the locking tab. Press the throttle open with the gas pedal, you should hear the cable click and slide out. On a test drive, a couple clicks tighter or looser to dial in shift points is ok, more than that there is another issue. Technically, if you lightly accelerate using minimum throttle to get to 4th gear, if you floor the the gas pedal the trans should go all the way back down to 1st gear. If not, you need to add a click it two more TV.

84K5

Reaction score
First Name
Jordan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer 4x4
Engine Size
SB 350
Got it all fixed... Adjusted the linkage and let the trans heat up and topped off the fluid. Now I'm cruising with the smoothest shifting 700R4 trans on the block. Thanks for the responses. [emoji1531]

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timk