Needle placement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jarhead79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Anyone know where you place the needles on each gauge to read correctly, is there a default position they are supposed to be in when there is no power to the gauges?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
The procedure for setting the rays in their proper positions on the shafts is different for each indicator. But one thing is common - they all are set with power on. When doing the initial positioning, just gently press the ray onto the shaft. They can be pressed on fully later.

The oil pressure indicator is easy. When the ignition switch is in the RUN position, the ray should set so that it points at the 0 psi mark.

On the other hand, to be set with any degree of accuracy, the other two indicators (for the coolant temp and system voltage) really need to be set by a method called "in-line verification". This is just an engineering term that means using a known good instrument to check the accuracy of another sensor/indicator - one that is installed and in use.

The voltmeter is simple to calibrate. With your voltmeter turned on and the probes connected to the studs on the back of the meter (or any other convenient hot wire and ground near the meter), turn the ignition switch to RUN. Note the displayed voltage and set the ray on the stem so that it points to the corresponding mark on the indicator face.

Two down. Now comes the calibration of the coolant temperature indicator - that procedure is more involved, but it's still not that hard:

Because the temperature indicator has a "dead zone" on the low end (where the coolant temp is below the measurable range) it can't be calibrated like the oil pressure indicator.

When the engine is not running, the oil pressure is known to be 0 psi. So, with that in mind, the indicator's needle can be set to the 0 psi mark and it will be safe to assume sufficient accuracy throughout the entire readable range (provided the indicator has not been altered).

But with the coolant temperature indicator this method doesn't work well. You can't simply supply power to the indicator, and then set the ray to some point on the scale - one that approximates the ambient temperature in your garage. Doing this will almost certainly result in an inaccurately calibrated coolant temp indicator.

Here are a couple of ways to get it accurately calibrated. Both require that the coolant temperature sender be pulled from the engine but remain connected to the sensing leg lead - that makes the procedures a bit cumbersome. It is best to calibrate an indicator as close to the midpoint of it's range as possible. So you will be heating the sender to 210 degrees F:

1. You can use a heat lamp, a coffee can and a good quality oven thermometer. Put the sender (with it's associated lead attached) into the coffee can. Cover it with some kind of insulation and insert the probe of the oven thermometer through the insulation. Do this in such a way that the tip of the probe is either touching or very close to the sender's tip. The dial of the thermometer should be outside the area covered by the insulation - this is so the temperature can be read without removing the insulation.
Set up a heat lamp or a contractor's flood light so that it is under the bottom of the coffee can - turn the lamp on and wait.

When the oven thermometer reads around 210 F, go ahead and set the needle to the same temp mark on the indicator. All done the calibration. Break down the calibration apparatus, screw the sender back into the cylinder head and reconnect the lead.

2. The second method relies on this fact; No matter how much heat you apply to a open container of water, once it hits 212 F and starts boiling, it will never exceed that temperature. This way is more of a pain, but the good thing about it is that you don't need an oven thermometer. Boiling water at atmospheric pressure is always 212 F - period.

Just set the sender (with the lead attached) in a container of water- a coffee can works well for this method too. Only the tip of the sender needs to be submerged.

Use a propane torch, a hot plate, a heat gun (or whatever you have on hand that can provide sufficient heat), bring the water to a full boil. The tip of the sender will at that point be at 212 degrees F.

Go ahead and set your needle to the 210 F mark on the indicator (key in RUN position).

All done. Break down and reassemble.

In case you are concerned about how accurate the sender's response is, use the chart below to check the resistance across it at various temps. Just connect one of your VOM leads to the normal terminal and the other to the part of the tip that is in the coolant stream.

Temperature/resistance chart for air and coolant senders:

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Very helpful!

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Nice write up! Given the chart couldn't you apply a known resistance to the circuit and set the guage accordingly? Like 185 ohms and set the needle at 210?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Given the chart couldn't you apply a known resistance to the circuit and set the guage accordingly? Like 185 ohms and set the needle at 210?

Sure, that would probably be the best way. Only for setting the midpoint calibration for the coolant indicator. I don't have the pressure/resistance chart for the oil pressure sender.

But - even though I didn't get into it - I like the heat lamp method. It allows you to check multiple points across the entire range. Also I don't need to buy a bunch of resistors - that I would probably lose.

I keep a meter connected across sender the whole time. As the temperature climbs, I watch the resistance readings drop off and kind of use the chart as a check list.

I don't check at every point, but at least the low/high ends (100 & 260) that the indicator can show - and maybe 10 in between.

And, maybe most importantly, because the sender is involved in the calibration process - when using either one of the heat methods - it's accuracy is verified along with setting the indicator. It could get confusing if a test resistor was used to set the indicator and then - when operating under actual conditions - a bad sender was skewing the dash reading.

Last edited:

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I also like the water bath idea. We have two calibrated baths at work for doing just this sort of thing. I also read about how to make an adjustable resistor for a functional test of these guages. The benefit of the water bath method is that it allows you to set the guage according to the sender you have.

Jarhead79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I guess I should have added I had a 79, I had a brain fart and was going to switch gauge needles for some better ones not realizing they wouldn't work because the newer gauge needles I had were electric and my gauges arent. I pulled off the gas gauge first and ever since its been off a little bit like about a half a tank. Lol I thought maybe if I filled the tank and then repositioned the needle it might fix it. By the way excellent info! Confusing but great!

Last edited:

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I thought maybe if I filled the tank and then repositioned the needle it might fix it.

The same principle described above - to calibrate the oil pressure indicator - can be used to reset your the gas gauge ray. It can be set at the low end of the scale.

Since the gas tank has a definite zero quantity - that would be the point where you run out of gas - you can use that to determine where to position the indicator ray.

Just run the tank way down. Then let the truck idle in the driveway until you lose the plant.

With absolutely no gas remaining in the tank, the needle should be aligned with the "E" mark on the indicator. That will tell you the tank is really empty. But if you want to make sure you always have a little reserve gas supply, simply position the needle a bit to the left of "E" (maybe an 1/4"). That way, when the gauge reads empty, you will actually still have a gallon or so left to find a gas station.

Doing this will throw off the top of the scale (on the "F" end) a bit. But as anyone who drives these trucks knows, a full tank reading cannot be trusted anyway.

I had an 86 that would show full for about 50 miles after a fill up. The first time that happened, I thought my mileage had drastically improved. But I soon learned that soon after passing the "F" mark, the gauge would plummet down to 1/2 full. After that it would provide a fairly accurate level.

Jarhead79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yeah my 80 stepside was like that when I was 16! Lol try for the write up etc, is truly some good info

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Agreed, the pickup fuel senders just give you a rough estimate of what's actually in the tank. Burb and K5 senders are more accurate however.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1